quail is aggressive to new females

Discussion in 'Quail' started by zayn, Jan 15, 2015.

1. zayn

zayn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    uk
    Hi, i had one male japanese quail with one female quail and found out that i should add a few more females for a suitable ratio. i just bought three new females, clippled wings and sprayed with johnsons anti mite extra just in case they had any parasites. which i doubt they did. it was late evening and i added the three new quail to my two old ones, and my old male attacjed all of the femalesand bit and peck them? he was only all little aggresive before but since 2015 he has stopped mating for winter and so he is nit mating? is that the reason? what shall ido? I do not want to replace the male however? any advice would be much appreciated. many thanks
    zayn

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would suggest removing the male until the hens have settled in. Give them a week or so, and then reintroduce him.

3. zayn

Jan 4, 2015
    uk
    As soon as i remove the male the od female becomes a liitle unusually aggresive and pecks the nww females, is this becausre of tje new birds?

4. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    You have to let them acclimate to each other, I know people just say to add them in evening and that my work. My opinion is that you have to separate them from your older birds. If your cage is large enough, place a clear (mesh or acrylic) divider between the new and the old.

They're territorial birds. I would keep them separated but together so they can see each other for no less then 2 weeks (that's what I would do). You could probably get away with less but better to be safe. Then introduce them one at a time and watch and see what happens.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  5. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    Also if your cage isn't large enough to separate put them all into a new cage and wait to see what happens, if they don't fight leave them in there for a week then you can add them back to the other cage.

6. zayn

Jan 4, 2015
    uk
    i will definetely do that today, maybe for a week and a half which ever works. thanks again for all the advice, much appreciated

zayn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by