1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail is constantly puffed up and is somewhat inactive

Discussion in 'Quail' started by FowlFriend, Nov 29, 2011.

1. FowlFriend

FowlFriend Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    One of my hens is 22 months old and has enjoyed good health. Lately, though, she has been sitting in a corner of the cage, all puffed up. She typically runs around the cage with her sister and comes to the door when I bring worms, but she hasn't moved much. I can't find anything else odd. She is eating a little and drinking water. She laid an egg yesterday. I just can't figure out why she's doing this. Any ideas?

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    mites or lice? Worms? there could be alot of reasons, I would take her out and give her a good inspection to see if she has any parasites on her, check out her poop to make sure there is no blood in it, let us know if you find anything

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    It's possible she could be egg bound.

Is she getting crushed oyster shell or any other source of calcium?

4. FowlFriend

Feb 24, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    I can't find any lice or bugs, no bloody poop. She does get crushed egg shells, and I just bought oyster shell last week.

What should I do if she's egg bound?

5. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Feel her stomach towards her vent, gently and see if you can feel an egg.

I just had this happen with one of mine. I haven't been raising quail long enough to be comfortable suggesting what to do. So I hope some that know more will be along.

As for my bird.. I did feel the egg... And after searching this web site for info on how to take care of her...
    I decided to soak her lower half in warm water for about 10 min. and gently massaged her belly area. She passed the egg a few hrs later, but still isn't up to par. Kinda wobbly...

6. FowlFriend

Feb 24, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    So, I soaked her in warm water (which she hated), then wrapped her in a warm towel. No egg, and I noticed she was limping. So I took her to the avian & exotic vet (we have rabbits, too, so I know the place) and the vet must have scared her because she popped an egg right out there! LOL! She is still limping and the vet said it's because sometimes when hens are egg bound, the egg lies on a nerve that can cause weakness and paralysis for a short while. What an ordeal! But, ours are pets and the kids are attached to them. [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Unlikely since she laid an egg yesterday.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Too much calcium can also cause them to have difficulties laying eggs, so maybe cut down the offering of oyster shells to 3-4 times a week. The egg should be somewhat 'soft' when it comes out, and too much calcium makes the shells too hard. Think of a baby's skull and how it is soft and not completely enclosed in bone (cartilage) so it can mold to the shape of the birth canal.

9. FowlFriend

Feb 24, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    I did not know that! Thanks for the info!

10. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine has been doing this....than they die [​IMG] Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by