Quail Issues

Discussion in 'Quail' started by WaterfowlWierdo, Jul 24, 2013.

1. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Songster

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I am raising 13 bobwhite quail that are now 3 weeks old and are moderately flighty, Is there any way to calm them down? I want to at least be able to get near them without one flying away...any tips? I have been giving them lots of happy hen treats to try but so far nothing....could it just be a stage in their life?

2. settingdusk

settingdusk Songster

Apr 30, 2013
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    You can clip their wings to keep them from flying longer distances but they will always be flighty. The only quail that is fully domesticated is button quail at the moment. The rest are still wild at heart.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    The best thing you can do to keep Bobwhites calm is to put in hidey places for them. Bobs need to feel secure and safe. They flush easily. So add some branches to the pen or aviary. I keep my Bobs in an aviary style setting and use brush piles and fake Christmas trees for cover. If you keep them in a pen style set up, prop tree branches up in the corners or anywhere inside the pen. Make a jungle in there. This will calm them down. Bobs don't like to be exposed to the outside.

Of course treats from you will help them bond with you, but Bobs are very flighty by nature and you will need to offer them security in a natural way.

Also, keep them out of high traffic dog or kid areas. This will help them as well.

Good luck with your Bobs. :)

4. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Songster

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Yous see that's funny because they are just a few weeks old right now and separated into two brooders and when they were smaller they had a cardboard hut that I made for that reason but when I switched them I only had a hut in one cage and thats been the calmer of the two.
    They get two servings of meal worms a day [​IMG]

5. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Songster

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I was actually looking into buttons for next year!

I see on your pet list below your comment that you have California Valley Quail. . .They are my favorite breed of quail. How are they for keeping?

6. settingdusk

settingdusk Songster

Apr 30, 2013
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Good so far, they are really cute chicks. Mine are juveniles at the moment. They are about three weeks old. They have little mohawks and are less flighty then my others. My texas A&Ms will be laying soon and are somewhat manageable since I used to have to put them in their pens when they are 3-4 day old flighty chicks. My Georgia giants are the most adventurous and flighty. They are large and dogs always want to chase them. Once I get the texas laying on the regular again I will hatch out some and freezer camp as many as I can.

7. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Songster

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Well maybe next spring I can buy some Valley eggs from you!

8. settingdusk

settingdusk Songster

Apr 30, 2013
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Sure. They were difficult for me to find without ordering them online. I love them because they look like the quail I grew up with. I will get more as soon as my breeder gets some hatched from his buddy.

9. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Songster

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Sweet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by