1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quail laying nests??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DLS, Apr 17, 2009.

1. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I would like to hear how to make OR better SEE pictures of some quail laying nests Ot nest boxes I am getting ready. Thank you
    Dan

2. DLS

I am not wanting to build any nests like my chickens lay in what about a cut off drum?

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    coturnix hens really dont lay any where in particular but if you have some that do anything can be converted into a nest box the more secluded the better... (like a litterbox with a lid even).

4. DLS

I have Bob whirtes & thought I would try and have them lay in a place so I can gather the eggs easier

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If your trying to encourage them to go broody it's worth trying but if you think you can get them to lay daily in a nest it's very unlikely to work. Quail pop out eggs where ever they are. They usually don't lay in a certain place. When my buttons do decide to use a nest they still pop out eggs where ever they are and then try to roll them into their nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by