Quail leg problem

Discussion in 'Quail' started by dimi, Feb 13, 2015.

1. dimi

dimi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2014
    NJ
    I noticed a female quail who was light in features on the back and chest. It looked sick, so I transferred it to the other (higher sitting) cage, the male there is not as mating-aggressive.
    I also noticed it was limping a bit and when I inspected her feet, this is what I found (see images attached). I put some blue cote on it but I do not know if that will help.
    I inspected some other females and did not see the same footing problems.

Any ideas what this could be due to? I know the wire can be hard on their feet but they never had these problems before..

Thanks, all

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dimi

May 11, 2014
    NJ
    Advise on how to treat also welcome.

Should I isolate her?

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Keeping them on wire too long can be hard on the feet and legs. For now I would keep this bird on bedding of some sort....pine shavings, grass hay or straw. Keep her on bedding until the feet heal. In the future, keep your wire very clean and give them places in the cage to get off the wire if you continue to keep them on wire. You could always switch over to bedding instead of keeping them on wire.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. dimi

May 11, 2014
    NJ
    Thanks, TwoCrows. I found another one with bumblefoot, however not bleeding. Separated both and put them on the pine shavings. They are missing feathering too. Anything I can feed them to promote their feather growth?

Anything I can do to promote their bumble footness? For now I just put blue cote on it.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Vitamins A, D and E help with thickening the skin on the bottom of the feet. I know with chickens, a lack of these cause them to turn up with bumblefoot more often. So make sure your quail are on a good diet. You might also add some vitamins to their water a few times a week.

Protein is the best thing for good feathering. You might see if you can find some gamebird starter or something with 28% to 30% protein. I would feed them this for a while till all this resolves itself. Starter feed has more vitamins, (I think) than standard gamebird food. Can't hurt.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by