quail lice

Discussion in 'Quail' started by zayn, Jan 5, 2015.

1. zayn

zayn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    uk
    if quail have a roughly 1-10 max lice under their feathers is that tolerable? i sprayed them with johnsons anti-mite/lice extra with permerethin which lasted maybe two months, now i have spotted a couple of lce under wings again? is that ok or shall i respray?

zayn

2. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    Have you tried any DE in their dust baths?

3. zayn

Jan 4, 2015
    uk
    Whats DE? i dont know if they have that here in uk, but they dont have too much lice maybe the odd couple is that ok?

4. FeelFree

FeelFree Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    Everett, WA
    Diatomaceous Earth

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

DO NOT use diatomaceous earth. If the package says that humans should wear respirators when handling DE then it definitely shouldn't be put in with birds. You can get silicosis from handling it as well.

DE is a crystal that has minute sharp edges on every angle, it is terrible for your lungs to breath it. Now imagine if your lungs were only the size of a quarter?

Further it's been proven to only be somewhat effective and usually only at preventing internal parasites carried by other bugs.

Use sevin dust in their dust bowls. Sevin dust is a chemical but is proven safe for use around all types of animals and humans. It's much safer and healthier for everyone involved.

6. Invision

Jul 24, 2014
    I have not had any issues with my DE, but mine is also food grade. Has no warning labels and made in the US, now I don't go and shove my noes into and take a huge sniff...

Birds have had it in their dust bowls for over 5 months and haven't shown any signs illness or fatigue.

This is what I bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ71LW6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't recommend getting it in your nose though, dries it out fast...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  7. Invision

Jul 24, 2014
    I've also found that it kills Bees (not what I want since I am a beekeeper) and drops ants like no tomorrow, so I am assuming anything with an exoskeleton is fair game. I also only put a teaspoon in about 10lbs of sand.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  8. zayn

Jan 4, 2015
    uk
    thanks for the advice friends, need to get some sevin dust now. advice much appreciated

zayn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by