Quail living with bantam chickens?

KenjiQuacker

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Issaquah Washington
Hello! I'm getting a pair of bobwhite and a pair of blue scaled quail for my aviary (about 300 square feet), and I'm wondering if bantam chickens could live with them? (My mom wants chickens for their eggs.) For example if I got some of the smallest chickens like seramas, would they all be able to get along because they were almost the same size? or is it other reasons they can't live with each other?

I know this question has been asked about normal sized chickens, but I haven't found anything about bantams living with quail. Sorry if this is a dumb question or has already been asked, please don't get mad at me if I did anything wrong.

Probably a bad idea alone for the fact that Bobwhite and blue scaled have not been domesticated at all and have no resistance to many diseases and parasites that chickens can shrug off easily. It is also likely that the chickens will be more aggressive than the quail and will attack them, and quail are not suited for getting into fights with chickens at all. At best, unless they’re raised together from day one, the presence of loud, mean, and active chickens will stress the quail out quite a bit.
If you want chickens for eggs, the only breeds that I can imagine really coexisting with quail are very tiny, like the Seramas you mentioned, and would likely not be very efficient for your mother’s egg needs unless she is satisfied with what will probably be highly seasonal laying of tiny eggs.

Probably a bad idea alone for the fact that Bobwhite and blue scaled have not been domesticated at all and have no resistance to many diseases and parasites that chickens can shrug off easily. It is also likely that the chickens will be more aggressive than the quail and will attack them, and quail are not suited for getting into fights with chickens at all. At best, unless they’re raised together from day one, the presence of loud, mean, and active chickens will stress the quail out quite a bit.
If you want chickens for eggs, the only breeds that I can imagine really coexisting with quail are very tiny, like the Seramas you mentioned, and would likely not be very efficient for your mother’s egg needs unless she is satisfied with what will probably be highly seasonal laying of tiny eggs.
Im planning on raising the chickens from day olds and introducing them to the quail by putting the quail in their pens and having the chicks in a cage next to them once a day for around 10 minutes, and I'll most likely be getting the seramas. But the diseases... not sure about how i'd deal with that. I'll keep researching. Thanks!

Hello! I'm getting a pair of bobwhite and a pair of blue scaled quail for my aviary (about 300 square feet), and I'm wondering if bantam chickens could live with them? (My mom wants chickens for their eggs.) For example if I got some of the smallest chickens like seramas, would they all be able to get along because they were almost the same size? or is it other reasons they can't live with each other?

I know this question has been asked about normal sized chickens, but I haven't found anything about bantams living with quail. Sorry if this is a dumb question or has already been asked, please don't get mad at me if I did anything wrong.
First, I don’t have a clue about quail, sorry. Second, never feel a question is dumb. It’s always better to ask questions when your unsure. :) ❤️

Back
Top Bottom