Quail Loudness and Night housing

chickhopeful12

Songster
11 Years
Oct 8, 2008
CT
I was planning on getting 1 male to 4 female coturnix. How loud do you think it will be? I don't want the neighbors complaining.

Also, is it possible during the night to shut them into a closed shelter?

I have chickens but they don't tend to get too loud until they are ready to lay.

Thanks

My male quails actually make like a shrill cooing, it's nothing like a rooster crowing, I find it very pleasant
I keep my quail ina rabbit hutch during the day, and move them to the coop at nigbht
Too many predators here..............

Thank you so much! I definitely want to do the same, hutch during the day coop at night. We have our share of predators too, although we have been lucky so far.
big_smile.png

They can be pretty loud had one that would crow a lot from 4 A.M. till sundown. But we have a lot of land and wildlife so neighbors just thought it was some wild bird making that noise.

Quote:
Is it similar to a rooster, whereas you can shut it in a coop during the night and then let it out in the morning to prevent really early crowing. If there is such a thing??
lol.png

I guess you could, but I doubt they will come back if you let them out of their cage. It's not anything like a rooster crow at all. Mine only crow during daylight hours,if that helps

Quote:
What I meant was the enclosed pen has a shelter within it that they could be kept in at night until I let them out into the enclosed run.

Wasn't planning anything like free ranging

Last edited:
Quote:
What I meant was the enclosed pen has a shelter within it that they could be kept in at night until I let them out into the enclosed run.

Wasn't planning anything like free ranging

You can put them inside a coop, but you'll most likely have to catch them every night and put them inside it. They don't go in "when it's time" like chickens. Just be very careful if you catch and handle the hens, since their bodies will be working on the next egg and you don't want to cause damage. The roosters will crow anytime that they are awake, it doesn't matter if they are inside or out. I don't mind or really even notice the noise most of the time, but it sounds so weird that your neighbors probably won't even know what it is unless you tell them.

Back
Top Bottom