Quail Male Egg!

dimi

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2014
NJ
Hi, all,

I am a bit puzzled. In fact I am very puzzled. I have quail males in one cage as leftover from the hatch, that I've been slowly slaughtering and eating. There are two left now. They are both about 8-9 weeks old. One of them is bold by now, I guess from overmating by other.
Now today, I discovered an egg in their cage. Its dark greenish color and twice as small as the regular quail eggs (see pictures attached). It also has an interesting substance inside, looks like a yolk in a yolk. These guys sit in the cage adjacent to the femail+one male that hatch regularly but there is no way that I can think of that it would fit through the grid.

ANYONE seen anything like this before? Please share your thoughts!

Definitely poor female needs to be saved from that male. He can kill her from over mating. The boy needs to go or he needs more gals!

I just saw a "female" male (the one that's bold) crow. They are the same coloring too. No spekles on the breasts (these are cotrunix).

Definitely poor female needs to be saved from that male. He can kill her from over mating. The boy needs to go or he needs more gals!

For some reason I didn't think of taking pictures of both of them and attaching here. Will do so tonight or tomorrow morning (en route to work now)
I just saw a "female" male (the one that's bold) crow. They are the same coloring too. No spekles on the breasts (these are cotrunix).

See attached pictures. I am pretty sure both are males. Vents show foam in both. I am thinking the egg fit through the wire mesh somehow...
Took pictures in a rash this morning, one came out a bit blurry :-(

Back
Top Bottom