Quail males as loud as roosters?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by littlels, Nov 9, 2011.

1. littlels

littlels Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    We have been thinking about getting some quail but we technically live in city limits so we can't have anything that is as loud as a rooster.

2. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    They aren't as loud as roosters, but they can make a lot of noise if there are a lot of them together. I have a bunch of males cots (maybe 16?) in my garage (standard 2 car garage, furthest away from door). I can hear them if I stand right outside the door with the door down, but the neighbors can't hear them.

You can hear them greet us as the garage door goes up and down.

The other plus is that everyone knows what a rooster sounds like, they don't recognize quail as much.

Someone else will have to comment on the sound level of bobwhites if that is what you are interested in raising.

One benefit of quail are eggs, so if you want to raise some outside, giving neighbors some eggs could go a long way.

3. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    All quail are alot more musical than chickens and not as loud, as long as they are out of site, I don't see anybody complaining to much or even noticing them. I do love unfinnished basements for consealing forbidden birds [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have ever heard a Bobwhite in the wild multiply that by how many birds you have, I have 150 Bobwhites, they are approx. 80 feet from the house, I do not have air conditioning so my windows stay open. At about 1/2 hr before daylight they start calling but it only lasts for about 5 minutes. Rest of the day you never hear a thing, only in the mornings do mine whistle. [​IMG]

5. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

nothing like the volume/sound of a rooster. Most people think they're wild birds calling though i did have one guy come to the back fence and aks me if they were Coturnix but that was b/c he had raised them a few years back in his basement so he knew what he was hearing LOL

6. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine have been spending the day outside this week. Today I was maybe 20ft away and could only faintly hear my loudest male crowing. Even if the neigbors by some chance did hear them, they'd probly just assume them to be wild birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by