Quail Massacre Last Night!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by creekrocket, Sep 24, 2013.

1. creekrocket

creekrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Savannah, Ga
    I work nights, and usually don't get a phone call from my wife until around 08:00. This morning she called me, with my 7yr old crying in the background ,saying that' a raccoon had killed all but five of our quail we hatched from our own eggs( for the first time).!!!!
    Talk about one angry Moe Foe....so, anyone in need of a coonskin cap in the next week or so, just let me know.
    Thanks to a forum member, I schould be getting some eggs in the mail at the end of this week.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck with resolving the problem. Refortify your coop/pen, and keep a live trap set constantly.

3. QuailNewbee

QuailNewbee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    That's awful ! I'm only about a month into quail and I love them ! can't imagine what I would do.

Hope you catch the bugger !

Val

4. momo18clara

momo18clara Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Stupid raccoon! Live traps are definitely the way to go. Good luck!

5. QuailNewbee

QuailNewbee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    I can't believe it ! I lost one of mine last night !!! [​IMG] Work up to the one roo " crowing " his little head off. Came out to a pile of feathers... I had to separate a bully hen and my 2 roos had started fighting a week ago. had them in a temporary fix , housed in a large dog crate. I've never seen raccoons here.. all I can think of is cat or a snake....

I'm devastated =(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by