Quail Mounting, Jumbo and Button

MrNappy

Songster
7 Years
Nov 23, 2012
Ajax, Ontario
Ok so i have 10 jumbo coturnix and 4 button quails. At first they were all in one big cage outside and the buttons got harrased a lot. Once i put them inside the button quickly learned to make friends with the bullies and sometimes when the bullies got mad the quails would run quickly between their feet/ around them.

When they were with the jumbo's the male button would only mount one of the females, but he would do it regularly. I moved them into a smaller place were they could have their privacy and lay. When they were with the jumbo's the male mounted but now when i them by themselves he no longer mounts but the females lay. What to do?

Also, i think my males don't know how to mount (jumbo). They get on one female for one second and slide off, so he just holds her head feathers for another second then he runs away to eat or to do something else. He never chases the female around. When i had the button and jumbo together he would chase other females and do the 2 second mount grab but now he just does it to one and sulks away. What to do?

Finally, i keep finding their ejaculation in the water. Looks like thick spit maybe foam, the females won't drink the water when this is in there. I change their water like 3-4 times a day but still, what should i do?

On a side note the one ejaculating in the water also does in on the floor and ...yuk... on the food container. I think its the golden one, Goldy, because once he mounts female the brown one rushes over. At the speed of lightning and pushes Goldy over, he doesn't let him breed.

Back
Top Bottom