Quail neck injury

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Oreo quail, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Oreo quail

Oreo quail Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2016
    Central Virginia
    I was hoping to get some collective wisdom on a neck injury for a white Coturnix (supposed A&M). She was introduced a few weeks ago into a cage of 4 sisters and was a little stressed but nothing major. Layed an egg daily. 3 days ago she is sitting on the floor with her head upside down. Her top beak touching the wire floor. She was closing her eyes and quivering like in pain. I'd like to say I separated her immediately but I waited several hours to see if she would straighten up. Other birds seemed to intentionally walk on her from time to time. No pecking though.

She did flap and straighten up when I grabbed her, almost like she wasn't in pain but in a few seconds she hung her head again. It was almost like she had no tone right at the shoulder/neck joint.

Anyway I separated her and she drank some water the was closeby. She looked like she had a broken neck for about 8 hours. Then I suddenly found her looking normal like nothing happened.

What happened and why?

Did she dislocate her neck perhaps if another quail jumped on her while reaching into the food bin?

Was she faking it for attention?
    Depressed bird getting her MOJO back?

I am not planning on reintroducing her back into the same situation.

2. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    How tall is her cage? Sounds like she bonked her head causing nerve damage, hopefully temporary.

3. Oreo quail

Oreo quail Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2016
    Central Virginia
    The cage wasn't very tall. I made it 11-13 inches high with a gradient. She didn't have any feathers ruffled but it sounds like a possibility.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by