1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail newbie questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Earl-Ray, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Earl-Ray

Earl-Ray Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2013
    Howdy folks!! I am just starting to learn about quails and I am finding info on quails to vary from source to source and so i figured I would come ask some questions I have In a place I know I can get some good feed back. Any knowledge you may have would be a great help an much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Which of the two quails get bigger the jumbo brown or jumbo whites(a&m)? Is there any advantage to either one compared to the other?

And are the Pharaoh browns the same as coturnix quail?(the jumbos I mean, I am mainly interested in meat and eggs)

I really am leaning towards the A&M white quails but I dont know anyone in my area with those, but I do know a lady says she has jumbo pharaoh and she is close to where I live and at 4-5 weeks for 2 bucks I am thinking about just getting some of those, however I want the biggest ones I can get. Anyone know where to get some A&M whites around the Houston Texas area?

Also Does anyone know anything about quail on a green fodder/wheat sprout diet? I can get a good whole wheat feed sack good for sprouting for 13 bucks a 50lbs sack at a local feed store. My chickens eat it up. Can quails eat just that or should I still feed them wild bird starter along with that?

Thanks for any info yall.

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Both texas and A&M and Pharaoh are names of colors of coturnix quail. True A&Ms are a jumbo white quail. Most white coturnix that you see are not A&Ms, but people will still call them that.

For feed adult quail need 24% protein. Chicks need 30%. I don't use sprouts so I can't help you there but someone will come along who does hopefully.

People seem to prefer raising A&Ms but I couldn't tell you why, probably because there is a old myth that A&Ms are white meat quail (All coturnix including A&Ms are dark meat).

Some colors won't take on quite as much size as the others. Pharaohs and A&Ms will take on the most size. The only place I know to get proper A&Ms is get hatching eggs from James Marie Farms in Louisiana.

3. Earl-Ray

Earl-Ray Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2013
    Awesome thanks. I actually spoke to the James guy today, if thats his name He didnt say I didnt ask. I left a message and He called me back same day. He told me to email him and request some kinda highly informative multipage email on raising commercial quails. Real nice fella. He told me the whites get outsold by the browns 7:1(i think dont quote me on that) so i think now I will go with the browns. He also said in a very short time He will probably be back ordered so if anyone wants eggs from him you better lay your money down quick. I am going this weekend to shop for cage materials and I think I have a genius idea. I am gonna use 1/2 inch galvanized electrical conduit to frame it and make two circles 30" diameter, one top and bottom and just tie wire the hardware cloth on. this will give a circle cage with 8 square foot floor space. this also saves on the cage material by several feet per cage. then for legs bolt two conduits together and bolt them to the circles. Should be able to make a long lasting cage well I am gonna make two cages actually for around 50 bucks. Not to shabby. Oh i will get two foot roll of wire mesh which on a 30" circle will leave 3 inch gaps on tops and bottoms of cage which I will patch in with scraps. I am gonna do the slanted floor thing too for the eggs to roll and catch in a lip.
    I also learned it is easier to sex the browns than the whites, and I am all about easier if available.
    Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by