Quail Newbie....What to do with pecked female bleeding?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jbeekman75, Jan 29, 2013.

1. jbeekman75

jbeekman75 New Egg

Jan 16, 2013
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    So, this is my first quail experience. Tried adding a new male to the covey...all purchased on the same day from different breeders. The males beak is all bloody and my female looks as though she was massacred! What can I do for her? She is acting as though nothing is wrong, but tries to escape every time I open the pen door now. Should I clean her up or leave her alone or what?

2. jbeekman75

jbeekman75 New Egg

Jan 16, 2013
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I did remove the male and will separate by wire and retry if she is ok.

3. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Put him in the dark alone. For a day or so. She has to heal completely or it will happen again. What often happens is blood will be drawn whil breeding and they like blood. Paint her up with some rooster booster pecking salve. Just eatch her eyes and see what he thinks of that. I like the smell. Other birds dont.

4. jbeekman75

jbeekman75 New Egg

Jan 16, 2013
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Thanks alot for the info...I have it separated and in the dark...I will look for the salve to put on it

5. jbeekman75

jbeekman75 New Egg

Jan 16, 2013
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Just an update on my female...She is still eating, drinking and acting like nothing ever happened. Spoke to the breeder and was told that it had happened to her before...Maybe she needs to be alone?

6. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Check her poop. [​IMG]

If it looks different (more white) than she could be in shock. Usually, going in shock kills em, they are hardy birds, they can tolerate a bit of bleeding. Just the shock would be a pressing mattr, put some heat over her.

7. jbeekman75

jbeekman75 New Egg

Jan 16, 2013
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Will do with the heat... Poop looks pretty normal...The area is scabbed over and she acts like nothing is wrong...

8. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by