Quail noises

Discussion in 'Quail' started by teradragon, Feb 13, 2014.

1. teradragon

teradragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,

I have a hen quail who is making a funny noise and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it might mean?

At first I thought it was because she way laying, and it was, but she continues to make the noise even after laying an egg.

It's like a eeeeeeeeeeee peep peep. Is she calling? Is she in discomfort? She is eating and drinking fine. It's a very cute little noise!!

Thanks.

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Does it sound like a cricket? If so she wants something or is being bothered by something. Pretty much any noise hens make, unless they are laying an egg, is because they want something or are being bothered.

3. teradragon

I don't know, maybe she doesn't like me peering in the box! It sounds a bit like one of those toy guns where there is the bomb dropping (at the start) followed by a couple of peeps. I'll have to try and record it later...

4. teradragon

Here is the noise. She laid an egg a minute later. She sat on the egg for a couple of minutes. Could it be a broody sound? She makes the noise even after laying.

Sorry if it is quiet....

[​IMG]

5. lashbear

lashbear Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    Was it a coincidence she made that noise just after the other quail pecked her?

6. teradragon

no, she made this noise before this incident, then the noise in the video, then for the next half an hour after just standing around making the noise.

7. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Egg song.

1 person likes this.
  8. teradragon

Like it! I guess each and every one are different.

9. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    Its a normal noise, my hens do it all the time. Even when i am petting them.

10. owlett5

owlett5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2007
    Turner, Maine
    Totally normal. Mine goes: eeeeeeee! Peep peep peep peep. . . it's super adorable. She normally will do it right as the light flicks on for the morning, then shortly before and after she lays an eggs. So cute <3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by