1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail not laying!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by szynszyla, Nov 16, 2015.

1. szynszyla

szynszyla Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2014
    Hello! I purchased 8 coturnix quail September 9th from a live poultry market, they were intended for food so I am guessing they were 3 weeks old when I bought them. Through October they were molting, but now they have all their feathers. I am sure I have 1 male and 7 females, but so far I haven't even gotten one egg. The funny thing is, I havent heard any crowing from the male either. They are being fed a high protein diet of a mixture of manna pro gamebird and showbird feed mixed with an unmedicated chick starter. I have also been giving them veggies and mealworms every once in a while, I also mix finely crushed eggshells with their feed for calcium. They are outside so I dont think light would be a problem. Can someone help me figure out what I am doing wrong, could they be older or younger than I thought? I already had them for 3 months.....

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Birds dont lay in the fall without lighting. They know to lay eggs in the spring because the days are longer. Use artificial light to make the days longer (14-16 hours total daylight) and in a couple weeks theyll start back up.

3. szynszyla

szynszyla Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2014
    Ok! What type of lighting do you recommend? Would rope lights work? Also this still doesn't give a reason for why the male isnt crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by