Quail Not Laying!

Lemon88

Songster
Nov 25, 2018
I have been wanting to incubate some of my single hen's eggs, hoping to get more females. I was even considering trying to see if she would go broody. She is currently kept with one other male, but they seem to get along very well and I don't see any signs of stress, etc. She only lays every so often, once every week or two. She is kept in a rabbit hutch outside in sunlight, and is given and organic layer feed from tractor supply. She was never a good layer from the beginning, unfortunately all of my good laying hens suddenly died. :( I hope I can get her laying well so I can increase my little flock.

I plan on buying some celadon eggs to hatch in the future, but just want to try and hatch some of hers for now.

How old are they?
The layer feed may not have enough protein in it.
The one male may be just too much for her.

Can you post a photo of their cage?

I have been wanting to incubate some of my single hen's eggs, hoping to get more females. I was even considering trying to see if she would go broody. She is currently kept with one other male, but they seem to get along very well and I don't see any signs of stress, etc. She only lays every so often, once every week or two. She is kept in a rabbit hutch outside in sunlight, and is given and organic layer feed from tractor supply. She was never a good layer from the beginning, unfortunately all of my good laying hens suddenly died. :( I hope I can get her laying well so I can increase my little flock.

I plan on buying some celadon eggs to hatch in the future, but just want to try and hatch some of hers for now.
I have 17 hens and 3 cocks and I cannot get my hens to lay either... I just keep feeding and keep waiting.

How old are they?
The layer feed may not have enough protein in it.
The one male may be just too much for her.

Can you post a photo of their cage?
It's this exact thing. They are 6 months. They have bedding of hay and aspen shavings. Let me look at the crude protein on the bag. How much do they need?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-05-16-15-11-56.png
    Screenshot_2019-05-16-15-11-56.png
    874.3 KB · Views: 3
It's this exact thing. They are 6 months. They have bedding of hay and aspen shavings. Let me look at the crude protein on the bag. How much do they need?
Have you ever feed them game bird feed/high 28%+ protein feed?

OK plot twist she was hiding them from me and made a nest I found them half buried? She has six eggs. I gave her some hay and she sat on them omg!!!

Sad Update:
After sitting on them for 5-6 days, she suddenly stopped. I left them with her for a few more days hoping she'd start again, but she ended up abandoning them. Not sure what triggered it.

Back
Top Bottom