1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail not laying

Discussion in 'Quail' started by babymakes6, Jul 15, 2011.

1. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I just got back into Coturnix again, after a 2-year break. My 13 quail are 11 weeks old (in a colony pen) and I have yet to get a single egg from them. What is going on? They are on Gamebird Breeder feed. I have been waiting and waiting, and nothing yet! I know when I had quail before they were always laying well by 8 weeks. Is it too hot for them, maybe?

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    have they been recently moved? and what % protien is the feed, is it ample enough?

3. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    It is 22%, I believe, and they have been in their pen for 4-5 weeks now.

4. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Well...here is my assessment. #1.Put them on GBS, which will exacerbate their non-laying, but works out well in the end. #2. Make sure you have some hens. Extreams in temp can put off egg laying, but you should have an egg or two in 11 weeks, unless they are not getting enough light. If they are outside in North America, then light should not be a problem, but if they are in a barn, then get yourself a night-light.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    You May Want To Test For Egg Eaters Too.... Just In Case

6. Coturnix are laying machines. So make sure they are girls. Roos don't give you too many eggs [​IMG]. Light is needed for sure, 14 hrs a day is great.

I have all my quail on a 22% protein feed and get an egg a day from all my hens. I also suppliment thier diet with mealworms and greens (specifically fresh alfalfa picked daily). So hopefully you can check to see where adjustments can be made.

7. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Quote:They are in a pen inside of a chain-link dog kennel outside. How do I tell which are hens or roos? I know several of them crow. My former quail were just the regular browns-very easy to tell apart. These are white, golden, tuxedo, and rosetta (I believe-they are very dark, with no white). I know several of them have bare spots on their heads-I was assuming from mating, although I haven't actually seen any doing it.

8. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Quote:Thanks for the laugh! [​IMG] I have wondered if I have any hens, but I am not sure how to tell with these-browns are easy to sex-but these are much prettier! [​IMG]

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Why would GBS exacerbate the non-laying?

10. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Quote:I wondered about this too, but I have never found any trace of shells, and never an egg either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by