1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quail not on eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by burny, Aug 11, 2014.

1. burny

burny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    Hi I have heard lot's about quail not sitting on eggs mine has made a nest and has six eggs in it but today she stopped laying eggs in it. Most of the time when i see here she is close to the nest.Is there a way to make them sit on them,or shall i just wait ? Thanks :)

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

There is almost no hope of your quail sitting on eggs. It happens occasionally but most often when it does the bird quits after a few days. Once I've seen evidence of a coturnix that hatched it's own chicks. Once. Buttons do it a little more frequently but people have been aviary breeding them so long now a brooding hen is becoming really rare.

You can try leaving the cage alone as much as possible, filling the environment with natural looking habitat, and giving the bird plenty of nesting material. Most likely though you'll just make your cage nicer looking and the bird won't care a bit.

PS I have a really good memory and I'm pretty sure you have buttons but there are so many people we help on here it really helps to state for each thread or put in your signature what type of quail you raise.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  3. burny

burny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    Thanks I moved the nest into her nest box, I think she fell's a bit more safe them there ,she has been near the nest but thats about . I noticed she layed one more egg. At night when I saw her she was sleeping whith the other quails.Thanks [​IMG]

4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    burny my button hen lays about 9 eggs then begins to act broody, puffed up breast and wanting to sit. If the bird feels safe and calm she might sit and hatch but you never know. If you really want these chick I would have a incubator set and ready to go just in case she abandons them. Good Luck.

5. burny

burny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    Thanks I think she might sit on them but you never know. She is standing by the nest and has laid another egg today I think she will wait till she has more eggs. Thankyou :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by