Quail nutrition, protein percentages etc etc Purina's website

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BooneHillbilly, Dec 3, 2010.

1. BooneHillbilly

BooneHillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    I have been researching Quail nutrition and came upon Purina's website. Now they recommend the startena which is 30% then after 6 weeks switching to a 20% protein chow to finish and for breeding. Does anyone else follow these guidelines? The feed is pretty muchthe same price as far as layena and startena in the game bird line. I have been feeding the non-medicated startena for a while now will no ill effects and plenty of growth and vigor.. Looking for opinions and your thoughts on the matter...

http://www.antlermax.com/healthmanagement/ECMD2-0017606.aspx

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    The more protein the better.[​IMG]

3. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    My oldest quail are almost 5 months old, they are still on starter feed. They'll stay on it. The hens lay without a problem even though they aren't on layer feed.

4. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    The only difference is the calcium and protein.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Startrena From Hatch To Grave

6. BooneHillbilly

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    Quote:Yes I understand this is the norm, but why is it? I understand the GM layer will have more calcium for egg production.

Quote:And this is exacly how my birds are fed.. Purina seems to research said things but why a 10% reduction of protein after sexual maturity is reached? I reckon I am just a curious person...lol.. I may cll them and ask there thoughts behind the formula.

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quail need more than 20% protein, but the feed is not just for quail. They have a 12.5% protein feed and a 30%. Would you feed the 12.5% to your birds? The drop in protein is for other kinds of quail and other game birds. Coturnix need the protein in the startena, and some other birds need the drop in protein. Bobwhites don't need the 30%, but it is good for them. Bobwhites and Valley Quail will do fine on a little bit lower protein feeds. Coturnix need a little more though. They need the extra protein to keep them healthy, and to lay good. They also just need a high protein diet for their general health and vigor. The Startena has enough calcium but I choose to give mine oyster shell anyway. They need calcium for harder egg shells and stronger bones. Hope this helps.[​IMG]

8. BooneHillbilly

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    Very good.. type of answer I was looking for.. And no sir I wouldent even feed my chickens less than 16%. Mine coturnix have always been on 30+% chow, my feed store hates me, too many questions I reckon...lol..

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Same here, I feed my chickens the 16% Dumor. My coturnix and bobs get startena plus all chicks get it. I feed it to my turkeys and guinea chicks too.

10. BooneHillbilly

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    Used to used the 24% dumor but no longer shop at TSC due to poor customer service etc etc....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by