QUAIL OBESITY? HELP!

Coturnix Quail

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
Alright. I haven't had any issues with my quail for a few months, but here comes another.. Today, I went to give them some egg shells and I noticed that all my girls gained a lot of weight, and my boys didn't gain nearly as much. I have one boy separated and he hasn't gained ANY weight! I really don't want my favorite girls to die!! Help me?!

It's normal for the hens to be "rounder", think chicken roosters and hens :)

If they are significantly bigger and lay strange eggs they could have "salpingitis" which inflames their abdomen with infection giving them a penguin appearance. I just learned about it as I think my quail has it, trying to figure out her amoxicillin dose and a way to give it in non cooked food..

It's normal for the hens to be "rounder", think chicken roosters and hens :)

If they are significantly bigger and lay strange eggs they could have "salpingitis" which inflames their abdomen with infection giving them a penguin appearance. I just learned about it as I think my quail has it, trying to figure out her amoxicillin dose and a way to give it in non cooked food..

I figured out the dosage based on chicken dosage and found an easy way to feed it as long as the other quail are distracted, hehe.

I take a few day old alfalfa sprout, dip the tiny leaves in water, dip the wet leaves in the amoxicillin powder then offer it in my hand in front of them with a few normal sprouts - wanted to share in case it helps some people and their quail :)

Back
Top Bottom