QUAIL OBESITY? HELP!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Coturnix Quail, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Alright. I haven't had any issues with my quail for a few months, but here comes another.. Today, I went to give them some egg shells and I noticed that all my girls gained a lot of weight, and my boys didn't gain nearly as much. I have one boy separated and he hasn't gained ANY weight! I really don't want my favorite girls to die!! Help me?!

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Our ladies are chunkier than our boys ever were, how much bigger are they?

3. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Not very. They're just a little bit heavier, but they sure do look fatter.

4. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    It's normal for the hens to be "rounder", think chicken roosters and hens :)

If they are significantly bigger and lay strange eggs they could have "salpingitis" which inflames their abdomen with infection giving them a penguin appearance. I just learned about it as I think my quail has it, trying to figure out her amoxicillin dose and a way to give it in non cooked food..

5. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Okay, thanks!

6. stricklandquail

stricklandquail Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2017
    In our quail, the hens are typically bigger than the males, so all is normal!

7. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada

I figured out the dosage based on chicken dosage and found an easy way to feed it as long as the other quail are distracted, hehe.

I take a few day old alfalfa sprout, dip the tiny leaves in water, dip the wet leaves in the amoxicillin powder then offer it in my hand in front of them with a few normal sprouts - wanted to share in case it helps some people and their quail :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by