1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail on the ground?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by badwhiskey, Mar 29, 2013.

1. badwhiskey

badwhiskey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    I would like to know the cheapest outdoor method of keeping quail...hoop house on the ground? Or a hutch on legs...i have a hutch i built 6x2ft but after it was built i was allready 150 bucks into it..

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Nothing is cheap these days unless you have a lot of discarded material laying around out back. But when it comes to keeping live creatures, you need to think of their comfort instead of your wallet. If you can not afford to keep quail, then don't. Sorry to be so harsh, but they rely on you for care. And building the optimum area for them is the utmost important.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  4. badwhiskey

Mar 29, 2013
    I like the hoop house!

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Cheapest I have found so far an people usually dig the look

6. badwhiskey

Mar 29, 2013

Please dont confuse cheap with "not taking care of animals...you dont know me or my animals ....now the question was...whats the cheapest way to keep quail" i never said whats the cheapest way to keep quail and neglect them?? If you read my intro..im into bobwhite reintroduction in Texas..thats what im trying to do as is my other niebors..

7. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    You may have posted an "intro", but "the new member intro" doesn't post here in the Quail Forum, so TwoCrows didn't know your intentions, nor did I. Your question mentioned nothing of raising quail to release into the wild. All too often, we have new members whose first question goes along the lines of, "tell me everything you know about quail, because I have some and want to know...". Maybe not those exact words, but that's how it comes across.

Here is some suggested reading.

8. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by