Quail or chicken? which one?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by yellowblack, Feb 14, 2016.

1. yellowblack

yellowblack Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2016
    How much is a quail and how much is a chicken. Which one cost more? Which one is better in your opinion?

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

I have seen each-anywhere from free to hundreds of dollars. Better? I've had both. There is no "better". It all depends on what you want.

How much room do you have?

Are you looking for fun or meat/eggs?

Is it a pet you're hoping for?

Or do you want something to look at and not touch?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  3. yellowblack

yellowblack Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2016
    I live in los angeles socal. and my house are less than 20sq feet though with other houses. It's pretty much neighbors next to.. with other houses. I'm afraid I will be reported. I am currently raising chicks. They run around my big big garden. They are going to Pets. I love them. I got my quail at downtown la. I thought it was a chicken I made a mistake. I was hoping to change my quail for a chick for the same value :)) so that it

4. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

With neighbors so close, quail might be the best option. Roosters are not an option with people so close. If it is chickens that you'd like, consider serama bantams (the smallest chicken breed in the world). Mine are quite quiet and I do not think your neighbors would have a problem with them. I also live in town.[​IMG]

5. Em Ty

Em Ty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    Quail will start laying eggs at 6-8 weeks and you can expect 6-7 eggs a week from them. The eggs also taste better and the quail are quieter than chickens.

I've got 8 chickens and I've had chickens for 3 years now, but after eating quail (which you can do as early as 5 weeks) I'm seriously considering graduating my chickens and going nuts with quail.

We're not allowed to have chickens in my city, but Japanese quail are allowed, so that's another consideration, especially if you're worried about neighbours.

Good luck and have fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by