Quail pecking eyes?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Cason, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

My quail are trying to peck each other's eyes out! What is going on there? They are around 8 months old.. have plenty of room in their run.. 3 males and 12 females.
    Anything I can do to stop this behavior?? [​IMG]

P.S. They are Cortunix.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    hmmmm is there wounds on the birds eyes now? If so, that's all it takes. Say one had a booboo near it's eye, so the others see that wound and start pecking at it, then they start peckign at other eyes because of the facination...and before you know it you got a problem.

Is it the roos doing it OR is it both sexes doing this?

3. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

It's both sexes. Seems almost like a battlefield. I'm wondering if I should put a bunch of tree branches in there- maybe to divert their attention? The run is 3' x 8'.

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:that is crazy!!! I wonder what started it. If i were you i'd remove the ones that are injured let them heal (if it's just flesh wounds so far with no eyes being actually harmed they s hould look great again within a weeks time of feather regrowth). Once they all heal you may not have the issue anymore. Quails are evil whenit comesto wounds they wont stop.

Your set up is HUGE for that many so your space is deffinatly not the issue... that is really strange and i am completley baffled. branches may help keep the others safe for abit but i dont know if it will completely stop the issue. wow im sorry!

5. shanndave

shanndave New Egg

Jun 28, 2013
    hi my quail i have 8 of them 5 females and 3 males and one male is being agressive he pecked one of the other males eyes out i have moved this quial inside washed his eyes and he picked the feathers off his head to how do i get the other male to stop being mean and will this quail make it or if he does will he be ok if he can no longer see this is my first time with quail i know only things iv read online i need some help please thank you

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

First you need to remove the male and keep him separated until he heals completely. You can use Neosporin on any wounds to the head and if you have any antibacterial eye medications like Terramycin, (human or pet grade will work) you can apply that to his eyes to combat infection.

What type of quail are these? If they are Coturnix, or Japanese quail, you need to keep them in the proper ratio...1 male to 4 to 7 females. If these are Button quail, or Chinese quail, they are kept 1 male to 1 female. If these are any of the New World quail, like Bobwhites, Gambels, Valley, etc...they also need to be kept in pairs, 1 male to 1 female.

Since you don't have enough females to go along with these males for either of these types of quail, you will need to separate one of the males with the proper amount of females for Coturnix,, pair off the male with a female for the other types and for the left over birds, you will need to keep them separate as well....all females to one cage and all males to another cage, out of sight from each other. Single males should not see other females and single females should not see males, or else fighting will ensue. NEVER keep males together.

Of, you can get more quail to get the ratio's right. Improper ratio's and they are going to fight.

Hope your quail heals soon. :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Also, make sure you are giving them enough room. More space the better. You can also add hidey places like over turn pots with a mouse hole cut into them or even cut tree branches propped up in the corners, leaves down, so the quail can hide from each other and feel safe and secure.

1 person likes this.
  8. shanndave

shanndave New Egg

Jun 28, 2013
    they are jumbo coturnix and i have the one the got hurt inside and i do have some left over eye stuff i can put on his eyes i had more quail but one broke his leg and some others got out so im thinkingof getting another cage to give them more space seperate them but there in a 6foot long 4 foot high and 3 feet wide cage they go out side in the cage of course everyday it doesnt rain and i spoil them but thanks i didnt know there whas a ratio for them any other tips this is my first time im not a farm girl im from the city my husban knows more about this stuff then i do and i put boxes in there one with saw dust and another with straw and one just to hide in i try to keep them busy but this one quail hes just mean i had to pull him off the other bird iv never seen them be so mean there only about 4 months old will he get meaner

9. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sometimes you can get a mean quail. Just their nature. If one of them just does not get along, he will need to be permenantly separated. Good luck with your quail!

Oh, and welcome to BYC and the quail forums!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  10. shanndave

shanndave New Egg

Jun 28, 2013
    ty vary much for you help and thanks for the welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by