Quail pecking other Quails toes

William Mellor15

Songster
Feb 24, 2021
AU
Hello,

I've recently acquired 2 quails and they're living together, male and female, they were from different shops so this is their first introduction to each other, yesterday i noticed he started pecking and pulling her toes out from under her, as if he's found some sort of worm. He does the same things to twigs and real worms and stuff. he's kept at it and now her foot is just minor swelling, i'm not worried at this point but if he continues i will be. He's not aggressive and i'm thinking that maybe he's thinking that they're mealworms under her or some sort of bug. I've separated them and i checked them both, no sign of any major sickness or anything. They've both got lots of space. Any idea what I should do, and will he continue to do this forever?

Thanks

Hello,

I've recently acquired 2 quails and they're living together, male and female, they were from different shops so this is their first introduction to each other, yesterday i noticed he started pecking and pulling her toes out from under her, as if he's found some sort of worm. He does the same things to twigs and real worms and stuff. he's kept at it and now her foot is just minor swelling, i'm not worried at this point but if he continues i will be. He's not aggressive and i'm thinking that maybe he's thinking that they're mealworms under her or some sort of bug. I've separated them and i checked them both, no sign of any major sickness or anything. They've both got lots of space. Any idea what I should do, and will he continue to do this forever?

Thanks
My quails can be soothed with a simple rendition of ‘Silent Night’. They find it soothing (so does quail mama!!) and I find they’ll stop pecking my toes for about an hour after that

They're Japanese quails, idk if that's coturnix? I haven't introduced any hiding places yet, i was planning on making some today, so far they're separated and are still communicating. I'll try what you suggested and see if it does the trick

Back
Top Bottom