Quail pecking Q

horsechick

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Eaton, Ohio
Hi,
We are new to quail, got a few quail and some of them have been pecked on the back of their heads pretty good to where there are no feathers now, and a few bloody spots, why are they doing that? anyway to stop them?
Ideas greatly appreciated,
THank you,
Angela

coturnix quail

Hi Angela,
sounds like you have too many birds in a small area, or just too many birds OR too many roosters in with few hens.

Is your ratio 1 roo per 5 hens? If so then you need to figure out the culprate and remove them....they can end up killing eachother.

They will peck because of stress, or because of over breeding.

Stress normally caused by cramped spaces

Over breeding normally caused by too many roosters to too few hens.

Hope this helps some!
smile.png

edited to add, your maximum amount of hens per roo is 5, your minimum amount of hens per roo is 3 (safe ranges). Any less hens the roo will over breed, any over the maximum and fertility drops.

Say you have 2 roos for 5 hens those hens will start getting way too many feathers pulled out and cause blood and if it goes on for too long death.

Last edited:
I don't know nearly as much as most of these people so just take my info with a grain of salt.

If these are still chicks and you have them in a brooder with a clear bulb; I suggest to change it to a red bulb. My first group of chicks (12) preyed on each other until I was left with only 4. I then switch to the red bulb and had no other problems.

Just a suggestion.

Hi,
Thanks all.
We had just bought them, 2 roos, 6 hens, 1 roo now dead.
Probably the stress of traveling and new home. I seperated some anyway.
I have the roo with 3 hens, I can just move him from cage to cage maybe every week or so until I get another roo.

Do they lay everyday?
Thanks for the information,
Appreciate it,
Angela

Quote:
to be honest once those hens heal (if any are hurt) you can put all 6 of those hens in with that one roo (unless he's mean to the others you separated from him). 6 hens to one roo is just one hen more than accepted. The extra hen may not get covered as much as she normally would in a flock of only 4 other hens. You actually dont need another roo unless you really want another one then that's your thing
smile.png

yep they will lay everday to everyday then stop for a day or two sometimes depending.
smile.png
I have some hens that lay for three days, stop laying for one day then lay again for three days then stop again and on and on and on lol.

Hi,
Thanks,
I have only had these about a week. I have only gotten one egg so far. Figured they needed to settle in.
We put their cages out in the sun today so they could look around and get some fresh air and sun. I have them inside our garage.
I hope they get used to it.
At first they jump everywhere, now when I go in to feed I just talk to them and they look around, not so much jumping now.
I can stick my finger in and pet them too.
Thanks for the input, really appreciate it,
Angela

p.s.
Where is a good place to buy chicks from?
Been looking, Don't want to do eggs, I have noooo lcuk with them.
Thank you,
Angela

Quote:
you're very welcome Angela
smile.png

yeppers they probably just need to settle and is your garage lit or is there windows so they can see the sun? If they aren't getting visual sun everyday for 14 hours you won't get eggs until they are sorry to say. If theres a way to keep them out in the light during the early hours of the day until it gets dark and bring them in to the garage that'd be perfect (if you cannot have the garage lit for 14 hours a day).

redoaksgamebirds.com used to sell them but everytime i reccomend them the people go to the site and the chicks are always not available.

I do ship chicks, but i only ship 3 + week old birds because shipping youngsters is a lil risky and it's pricey to ship birds so I only want to ship them at a an age where i feel they will more than likely make the journey
smile.png

annd i almost forgot you were in ohio!!! lilralphieroosmama has jumbo browns and hatches them all the time for customers
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have one 1 roo and 3 hens and now this morning 1 hen has been pecked and bleeding on her head! They are outside and I've always fed them high protein feed and even given them boiled eggs!! So is this maybe from mating or what????

Back
Top Bottom