quail pen blown over by wind at least 55+ mph qust

Discussion in 'Quail' started by wilds of pa, Mar 2, 2009.

1. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Heres a pic of what the winds were like here today, this was one of my newer pens i built, wind blew it right over with birds and all in side..poor things i bet they were scared to death. Luckly no injuries, me and hinkjc and dd picked it back up onto its legs and i fastened braces on it so it don't go over again..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charlie

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

[​IMG] Reminds me of Idaho wind gusts now. Glad they were OK and you were able to get it back up. Note to self: fasten down quail pens so they don't blow over.

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad you had help to get it back upright again!

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Hey Charlie- Someone gave me a pen very similar to that, even has the chicken wire around the bottom. Do yours go down to the ground through an opening and then go back up top or???

5. wilds of pa

Yup never seen anything like it before..these are the greatest winds here we've seen for a long time.. This particular pen is a bit top heavy as the other are lower profile..Will be driving 4ft steel re-rod stakes along all four legs and bolt down..

Charlie

6. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I am glad everyone is okay

7. wilds of pa

Thanks all

Buster I don't allow them on the ground, that wire is there to help deter preds..just i didnt get to bury yet, but had it bent outword to recieved dirt and grass seed..

Charlie

Ps..something going on with BYC...very laggy and is double posting on me..

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Gotcha Charlie. Good to know. I am just going to put a solid top and back on mine and it will be good to go as soon as it's warm enough to put them outside. I'll leave the chicken wire around the bottom for the same reason you do. I was wondering why it was there. Now I know. [​IMG]

9. wilds of pa

You got it buster, however you could let them on the ground and try it, only thing you would need to make a gate or door of some kind under there so if they lay the eggs down there you could get them, Personally i don't like them under there because i know they would be digging worms and eating them..

to risky for me I don't want to take a chance of them getting sick eating worms and bugs so easily and not sure how decease Resistant they are as well..totally a personal choice..

Charlie

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Can quail not handle eating bugs? I didn't know that they would get sick from it. Good to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by