1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quail pen

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bradybertoch, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Bradybertoch

Bradybertoch Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2013
    I am getting 3 cortunix quail and i'm wondering what the dementions for my pen should be.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Give them 1 to 2 square feet of space per bird. The more the better. If you are only getting 3 birds, you can keep 3 females together. If you are going to keep a male, you will need to keep at least 4 to 7 females with him as he can mate them to death. If you are keeping them in a wire pen, the ceiling should be about 1 foot high. If you use a rabbit hutch type housing, you can go higher, but it would help to put in fake foliage or cut branches in the corners to give them a calm relaxed atmosphere. It will help prevent them from flushing up into the ceiling.

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  3. Bradybertoch

Dec 9, 2013
    Thank you and also what type of food should I feed them

4. QuailRaiser

QuailRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

u should use a 25-32% protien feed, such as game bird crumble or quail crumble

5. Bradybertoch

Dec 9, 2013
    Is their a way to get them to lay eggs in the winter

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    You should get only females if you want eggs. Cortunix will lay at about 6-8 weeks of age. Feed them a flock raiser or high protein game bird feed. Offer extra calcium or crushed shell on the sides to help strengthen shells. Aside from this, laying is a natural cycle, and nothing can be done to speed it up.

7. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok so please avoid feeding adult coturnix hens more than 25% protein. For the health of the bird feed adult coturnix 20-24% protein. Gamebird crumble is available at most feed stores and the protein percentage will be on the tag attached to the bag. Excessive protein will eventually lead to blowouts among females. When they get too much protein their eggs are too large and they have difficulty passing them, blown out birds must be euthanized. Meat birds can be fed 30% protein throughout their entire lives. They will lay eggs through the winter but they need 14-16 hours of uninterrupted light in order to do so. Don't leave the lights on 24/7 its bad for your birds and shortens lifespans.

8. Bradybertoch

Dec 9, 2013
    Ok that helped

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by