1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail pens and behaviour

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lynn1961, Sep 25, 2011.

1. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    What is the best type of pens for quails ?
    Do breeding pens need to be different ?
    Do female quail hatch their own eggs out very well ?
    Any pics would be great

2. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:Hi lynn,
    What kind of quail are you interested in? It would help the others here to know that, so they can help you.

They type of pen you use will depend on what kind of quail and what results your hoping to get. Are you intersted in a few pets, raise them for meat? or what ?

No, quail do not hatch their own very well. It's rare a quail will nest or go broody.

3. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Button hens, I think, are the most likely to go broody if kept in a pair. I have heard of Bobwhites going broody, but like lynn said, that is rare occurance. Most people keep coturnix in wire pens off the ground with a wire floor. The same can be used for bobwhites, but people also keep them on the floor. Buttons need a solid floor and less space per pair than other species. Otherwise, anything can a cage. I have heard of rabbit hutches being used for a few birds, and fish tanks (especially for buttons). [​IMG]

4. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    Quote:Hi lynn,
    What kind of quail are you interested in? It would help the others here to know that, so they can help you.

They type of pen you use will depend on what kind of quail and what results your hoping to get. Are you intersted in a few pets, raise them for meat? or what ?

No, quail do not hatch their own very well. It's rare a quail will nest or go broody.

Bob whites and the A&M were the ones I had interest in. There were some at the sale we went to last week, the only thing that kept me from buying them is that I know nothing of raising them, how to care for them.

5. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Button quail have been known to brood and the occasional bobwhite. I've never seen a coturnix (the A&Ms or any of the other varieties) go broody but there is the rare exception. However, I wouldn't get your hopes up that any quail will decide to nest and get an incubator handy if you do go that route.

For buttons, a 10 gal fish tank or a cage made from 1/2" hardware cloth with a solid floor works well. With other quail, the 1/2 cloth for the floor and up to a 1x1 inch wire for the rest of the cage will work only then you have to watch closely for predators. I stick to 1/2 all the way around to save time.

Converted rabbit hutches are good for a few bobs or coturnix. I have a pair of bobs right now in 2ft x 6ft x 3ft tall pen (it's 2ft in the back and 3ft in the front due to sloping roof) and have a second one empty now waiting for the little ones to grow a bit more before moving them in permanently. That'll make it 10 birds per cage then I'll start trimming out to get a good male/female ratio.

6. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    You might watch those auctions for quail pens if they sell equip. I see them now and then. Look up the GQF. Breeder pen they will look similar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by