quail pens

Discussion in 'Quail' started by syble, Nov 12, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    I know this gets talked about a lot, but i have a question on wire... i'm building some new pens... I have had issues in the past with kittens breaking through normal chicken wire, and mice squeezing through 1x1 rabbit wire... I'm thinking about using 1/2 x 1/2 hardware cloth for the sides of these pens... will that be sufficient or will i need something more to keep cats out? The cages are kept in a secure barn.
    Thanks
    Sib

2. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    that should work but I would start "culling" cats too.

3. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    every problem cat has been rehomed [​IMG]

4. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Cats have a way of showing up, along with other creatures of the day and night. Build your pens like you are trying to keep a coon out and you will be good.

I would do the 1/2" x 1/2" if I were you, better to be safe than sorry. I had a rabbit cage with chicken wire on the front and they pulled the rabbit against the cage and killed it, never again will I let a pet get murdered because I want to save a few bucks. I build things right the first time so my 4 year old doesnt have to find another dead pet killed by animals.

5. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    1/2 x 1/2 hardware cloth or 1/2 x 1 wire will work. If you use the 1/2 x 1, have it so that it measures 1/2 across and 1 inch up. Mice seem to be able to get through it if it is set up so that it is 1/2 up and 1 inch across but get flummoxed the other way. Not sure why. Advantage to the 1/2 x 1 is that it is a bit stronger than hardware cloth. Disadvantage, it's normally a little pricier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by