Quail People in South MS?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bantamboy93, Jul 25, 2011.

1. bantamboy93

bantamboy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    I'm in Pearl River County.. If you don't know where that is, you probably aren't close enough to me. But I'm just wondering if there are any quail breeders/raisers of any kind in my area.

2. bryleighs_gmal

bryleighs_gmal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    TN.
    oh i know where you are down by that paper mill [​IMG]...ill look around for ya

3. bantamboy93

Jun 22, 2011
    Paper mill?? as in bogalusa? somewhat... i never go there though... it's a little ways away from me. I'm on the south end of PRC.

4. CoCkYone88

CoCkYone88 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    All tho I have not started my operation yet I am in south Hancock county. I'm in the middle of getting started and should be ready for eggs or day olds in about a week. What breed/breeds do you deal with and what's you luck with our harsh summer temps?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  5. bantamboy93

Jun 22, 2011
    Are you familiar with the metal sheds that you see people using as carports. That's what i have my quail in. So they're in the shade at all times. They're in hanging rabbit cages. And the heat I think is causing a lack in egg production but I bought a bottle of pure vitamin c tablets at walmart and i pop a few of them in each waterer when it's empty, fill it up and let the pills gradually dissolve. That seems to help a bit. Plus with this rain we've been getting the past few days, it isn't quite as hot as it has been.

6. scottysquails

scottysquails Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    i live in petal and i raise and breed quail

7. bantamboy93

Jun 22, 2011
    I have the Coturnix quail. Not sure if that's what you're interested in, but i have 6 Tibetan coturnix that are laying really well. I'm thinking of selling them to get some more of the regular brown ones because it's such a hassle trying to vent sex. It's 2 roos and 4 hens. If you're interested in buying them to get you a start, message me. They'd be great if someone wanted to start a flock(whatever you call it) of Tibetan Coturnix.

8. bantamboy93

Jun 22, 2011
    Scotty, thanks for posting. But Petal's a little farther north than I can travel. I'm looking for someone who'd like to trade birds or something of that nature. Someone that's in the area who I can go see their set up for tips or if they want to come see mine.. So on and so forth. But i really appreciate you replying. [​IMG]

9. CoCkYone88

CoCkYone88 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Yes you answered my questions. That's good to know that it doesn't affect them to bad. My set up sound a lot like your just in an old sea-train(conex) box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by