1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail (Pics on page 2)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tikkajazz94, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

So I'm picking up my Quail up tomorrow (after I clean the garage today). I Wanted to know If 5 week olds should be in the brooder still or should I start to get a condo ready for them?
    Today its 25C out and gets 10C at night.... its going to be a indian summer (again)... anythoughts?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

depends what kind? if coturnix i would leave them in the brooder till 7 weeks.

3. Tikkajazz94

ah Okay. Thanks [​IMG]

4. Tikkajazz94

Another question, As Im getting the Brooder ready. Im going to use a hermit crab water dish for water. Should I put marbles in if their (two days short) 5 week olds? I don't have marbles would Big beads (For a necklace) do the trick? Or is there anything else I can use instead?

5. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Quote:at 5 weeks id be turning the lights off during the day and just on at night... begin weaning them off the lamps very soon.... by 7 weeks they should be considered your breeders... 7-12 weeks is when my coturnix begin laying and breeding.

6. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Quote:none needed. they will not drown.

7. Tikkajazz94

Quote:none needed. they will not drown.

[​IMG] sweet thanks [​IMG] and the Crab Dishes Are good to use for a temp thing?

8. Tikkajazz94

So My dad asked me How big will my coturnix quail be, I said bigger than a Bobwhite and smaller than a grouse. And the jumbo coturnix are the size of a grouse (Maybe). So Am I right?

(Please note, The reason Posting here is I don't want to Open another topic)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  9. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:
    Grouse are heavily built like other Galliformes such as chickens. They range in length from 31 cm (12 in) to 95 cm (37 in), in weight from 0.3 kg (11 oz) to 6.5 kg (14 lb).​

10. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:7 week old coturnix are....Grown birds!

At some point you have to turn off the lights.............I thought I was an "Over Brooder". Guess not [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by