Quail Pip Wrong End

Cawagula

Chirping
Sep 18, 2022
Good Morning Everyone,

First time attempting hatching quail, currently in lockdown at day 15. Went to do a temp/hydrometer check and noticed what appeared to be a pip but at the wrong end of the egg.

Grabbed a few pictures, and I know nothing was cracked going into lockdown. Not hearing any peeps or seeing any movement at all in any egg whatsoever, and seems a little early for hatching as only 2 - 3 hours into day 15.

I don't want to break lockdown to candle or check one single egg, but anyone have any advice or experience with quail pipping on the wrong end? I'm assuming it's best to wait it out but wanted some opinions.
Temp has averaged 99.7, humidity was 40% till lockdown and is about 58% currently.

Sorry about the quality, was tough getting a picture without my hand amd phones reflection in it lol.

20230331_123634.jpg
20230331_123646.jpg

Thank you, I actually noticed a 2nd egg in the same situation. Not sure what happened here, shipped eggs, allowed to rest pointy end down 24 hrs as normal, may be the seller stored them incorrectly on jostling from the mail. Had 16 eggs and 12 left, hoping for a good hatch rate. Really wanting to get a few pearl fees lol

If they pip at the wrong end, they will likely need assistance. Be aware, though, that if you assist, there is a good chance that they will have other problems and may not survive, or worse, need to be culled.

In my experience, about 25% of eggs that I assist make it. There are plenty of people who won't assist a hatch for that reason. Assist or not is up to you. Good luck!

If they pip at the wrong end, they will likely need assistance. Be aware, though, that if you assist, there is a good chance that they will have other problems and may not survive, or worse, need to be culled.

In my experience, about 25% of eggs that I assist make it. There are plenty of people who won't assist a hatch for that reason. Assist or not is up to you. Good luck!
Thank you for the info. I've helped a number of chicks hatch, espcially in my early days before I got a good incubator and thermometer lol. My gut will be to let them do their thing and let nature take it's course.

Well over 24 hours since the external pip, I have 11 of 12 externally pipped now, day 16. 3 total pipped on the wrong end.

The two from yesterday chipped more shell away but membrane has been exposed for a while. Cranked the humidity up to 65% and broke seal for a second to put some coconut oil in on the exposed membrane. No visible veins on the cracked open section, one did break through membrane but is clearly still absorbing yolk. Gonna wait till 24 hrs after the first hatch and then stat thinking about assistance if the original two havn't made any progress. Plenty of peeping and scratching while applying the oil so they seem to bw doing fine.

Thanks for all the advice thus far.

Back
Top Bottom