Quail question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Foxiapii, May 4, 2017.

1. Foxiapii

Foxiapii Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    I have a ringneck dove that recently lost his bond mate and I have read that quail and doves can be kept together? Can I make a small quail his new bond mate? No places around me sell doves, sadly, so I can't find any doves for him.
    The only doves kept around here are diamond doves and I don't know if keeping ringnecks and diamonds together is possible.

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Most quail can't really fly so I can't really see them being very good companions for each other, my friend who has a small personal aviary keeps her doves and pigeons together, any chance you could get a pigeon? I think they're in the same family even, though quail could possibly be a option if there is no others :)

3. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Pigeons can bully doves, who are smaller and more delicate. Doves also cannot eat the larger seeds/grains that Pigeons do. Diamond doves are too small to be mixed with Ring neck doves, plus Diamonds can be very territorial, even to larger species.

Doves will bond with their owner in the absence of another dove and Ring neck doves can be kept singularly. They can be kept with gentle finches such as society finches, or some of the docile, more exotic species if you want something pretty. People generally avoid mixing them with hook beaks which can be more aggressive and easily hurt doves (who apparently have very thin skin).

We recently had a ring neck dove fly onto our property and land on us. It's been living inside for a couple of weeks now (in quarantine from all our other birds) and seems pretty relaxed, despite our noisy, enthusiastic children. We have advertised to try and find its owner, but have had no responses yet. I think it's found itself a new home!

4. Foxiapii

Foxiapii Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    Thank you so much! And they are such sweet birds, and funny too! Mine is really depressed, he hasn't coo'd in days, ever since Forrest passed away. I'll try and find him another ringneck or a turtle dove because I just feel like human companionship won't be enough.

5. JaeG

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Your poor boy - I did read how they mate for life and have a very deep bond. Our little ringneck took a long time to start cooing. It was silent for the first week of living in this crazy household! I think it's a girl because it doesn't coo a lot even when shown its reflection. Any tips on sexing them? They really are darling little things.

6. animalhunter

animalhunter Just Hatched

May 8, 2017
    do quails eat raisins if i do inject ativan 2mg mixed in water and 1mg or 1 drop in 1 raisin to make them unconscious for some time does this work? i need advice from quail catchers? there are 100 of quails in jungle near my home but they run very fast i tried all nets ropes cages to catch but but cant so please do advice me of the situation will it work? asif

7. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada

Hello, don't use drugs on the quail - even if it works perfectly (which is doubtful) they will run and hide to fall asleep and you won't find them, plus it could be very dangerous for the quail and kill them.

I've also heard of seeds in grapes being bad for birds and raisins are dried grapes so I would stick with some bird seed like millet.

Why are you catching them? Even if you did catch them, they're used to being wild and would probably be very stressed out in a cage with people and would maybe smash their heads on the top of the cage. Is there any way you can get tame quail from someone who raises them locally?

8. JaeG

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I still think another dove will be the best friend for your boy, especially seeing as he's used to having a mate, but I ended up putting some Japanese quail in with our ringneck dove and she spends a lot of time down on the floor with them eating and seeming to enjoy their company. They are a similar size to her and I'd never seen her down on the floor before. I just gave her some fresh millet sprays and put the old ones on the floor for the quail to pick at. But the dove preferred eating with them rather than tucking into the new stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by