Quail questions

i actually have some questions about quail myself.

i would like to start breeding and raising quail. is the common (med. or japanese) quail the best for meat?

at what age would they lay?

how long does it take to get to eatable size?

what is eatable size (weight)?

any other info would help.

thanks.

I've had coturnex for over a year. If you want meat and eggs this is the way to go. They start laying at 5.5 weeks,yes 5 and a half weeks. You can harvest for meat at 7 weeks. They do great in a stack cage system. Mine are in a 3 tier rabbit cage. I had jumbo bobwhites last year too, very pretty. They take about 20 weeks and are not as tasty in my opion. I got my eggs on ebay. This has been a rewarding hobby and hope you have good luck.

Quote:
I have got 50 coturnix eggs in my incubator right now. I'd like to keep some for eggs (both for eating and hatching) and process the rest. I am going to have two rabbit hutches, stacked, for them to live in. What kind of mix of males to females do you recommend for fertility? How much meat do you get on one quail (that is, how many quail go into making a dinner for a single person)? Do you skin or pluck your quail during processing? Thank you for any information you can provide--and I'll be happy to take this discussion to another thread or to PM, if you think that I'm hijacking the thread.
smile.png

Thanks for the link KyleD. loads of info. Could you please clarify ref the jumbos being best for eating. What are the jumbo? coturnex?

Quote:
I have got 50 coturnix eggs in my incubator right now. I'd like to keep some for eggs (both for eating and hatching) and process the rest. I am going to have two rabbit hutches, stacked, for them to live in. What kind of mix of males to females do you recommend for fertility? How much meat do you get on one quail (that is, how many quail go into making a dinner for a single person)? Do you skin or pluck your quail during processing? Thank you for any information you can provide--and I'll be happy to take this discussion to another thread or to PM, if you think that I'm hijacking the thread.
smile.png

You can raise them together . Your going to need a brooder box, can be anything just put a sceen to on. Paper towels on frool are fine for a week, Then I use buckwheat or for bedding.When small I've had sume choke ot death on wood chips. After the booder I gow mine on wire. They need a 24% protein feed and vits. inthe water and a heat lamp. I grind their food for th first week. Later they eat a 20% ration. WE find it takes two person to make a meal. I bleed and pluck mine in fact doing twenty four this morning. As with chicken the scald is the most important part. About 145degrees put a drop otwo of dish soap in the water and it knocks down the smell and helps saturation. Any way dip dip swoosh and its long enought . I then puck them with a homemade pluck on my drill press , takes about 40 seconds if you scald was good. I would even pluck by hand if need be . The skin is a delious part of presention
After all cleaned I vacumm seal mine, four in a bag. Let them rest in the refrigerator 2 or 3 days prior to eating or freezing.

Back
Top Bottom