Quail Questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BuddingBaker, Mar 4, 2012.

1. BuddingBaker

BuddingBaker New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    I am planning on owning a small flock of Quail, and have some questions before I make my mind up (again! [​IMG])

1) Is it compulsory to have a male in the flock, or could it be a flock of all hens?
    2) How many quail could you comfortably house in a 190cm x 75cm x 113cm coop with a run of the same size?
    3) How many quail eggs = 1 chicken egg?
    4) Can you house quail outdoors all year round?
    5) If a quail with clipped wings escapes, is it possible to catch it?

Any quail tips would be really helpful, please!
    Thanks!
    BB [​IMG]
    (A.K.A BuddingBaker)

2. cs4 chicks

cs4 chicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    springfield,il
    I am also intersested in starting a small flock, mostly for filling the freezer. Wondering what breed would be better for eating. Glad you started this thread.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    As for eating every body's taste buds are different. I raise two kinds of quail Bob Whites & Coturnix.Bob's are alot wilder than coturnix. Coturnix are very laid back. Clipping wings I've never done this & won't alter my birds. Bob gets out he's gone. Coturnix gets out you can retrieve them pretty easily. I believe its 4 quail eggs equals one yard egg. Only need a roo to fertilize the eggs.I raise my birds outside it rarely gets below 20 here & it never last long. I struggle with the heat here not the cold. I only use inches & feet here in the states .

4. BuddingBaker

BuddingBaker New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    Here are the dimensions in inches:
    75" x 30"x 44". Rounded up to the nearest whole number.

5. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Pretty well answered it.....No Roo needed unless you want hatching eggs...cva34
    I'm with Randal on Heat..

6. Jimsbirdhouse

Jimsbirdhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Gonzales, Texas
    CVA34, How is the feeder working out? hope your saving on feed! sorry about getting you off the egg subject !

7. devinthesaint

devinthesaint Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    La Mesilla, NM
    No problems with cold. Last year in northern New Mexico it got to -26 F and no problems at all. They're tough little suckers. My only issue has been predators, even with 1/2 in by 1/2 in wire. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by