Quail raising questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailboy14, Nov 6, 2013.

1. quailboy14

quailboy14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    Hay guys im knew here I have some questions
    Im soon going to get some quails and I wanted to get some valley quail do eny of you guys know if valley quail produce a good amount of eggs? Like an egg a day?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    They are a seasonal layer so you won't get that many eggs. If you want eggs everyday get cortunix quail or if want more wild type Bobwhites lay better then valley.

3. quailboy14

Nov 6, 2013
    Are cortunix relesable birds into wild? And can you grow pheasents for eggs? And if you where to release 14 valley quail would it survive.

4. Orps

Orps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    I got some of both. The cortunix quail are more tamer and produce more eggs. The California are prettier but more flighty and nosier.

They say corturnix are releasable but I don't see it. Valley would probably do okay.

However, before you release any wildlife, you might want to check with your local Fish and Game dept whether or not it is legal to release in your area. I think pen raised quail may carry disease that can endanger the local quail population.

5. quailboy14

Nov 6, 2013
    About how many strait months do valley quail lay eggs and whats the avrege ammount of eggs do they ley?

6. quailboy14

Nov 6, 2013
    How much eggs do bobwhites lay a day and are cortunix quails good for meat?

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Coturnix are great for meat and become mature for eating much faster than Bobwhites. Coturnix and Bobwhites are about equal in laying, about 4-6 eggs a week per hen, sometimes less and sometimes more.

Coturnix will start laying sometime between 7-9 weeks of age, Bobwhites generally don't start laying til the following spring from when they were hatched.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  8. quailboy14

Nov 6, 2013
    are pheasents eny good egg layers?

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    For pheasants, they are. But not regular layers, if that is what you are asking.

10. quailboy14

Nov 6, 2013
    Hay i was woundering where you can find some quail chicks for a realy low price?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by