1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail recipes?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by LoupGarou, Apr 28, 2009.

1. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    I am going to be raising some quail. Is there anything I need to know about cooking them or eating them? Someone told me that people eat quail bones and all--is that true? (I know that in France they eat small birds that way--it's some kind of delicacy--but wouldn't coturnix be a bit big for that?) Anyway, I'm looking for some quail recipes in advance, just so that I can be prepared. LOL

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I cook them in thepressure cooker just a few minutes. Take them out and batter them and fry them quick until golden brown. Serve any side dish you like but we like them with grits and gravy.

3. RuffTuffCreampuff

RuffTuffCreampuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Gainesville, Texas
    Quote:Before you batter them, how long do you let them cool down....all the way, or just enough to handle? Sounds yummy!

Pam

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Cool enough to handle.

5. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I have a recipe somewhere for pomegranite quail with grilled polenta wedges that is spectacular. It may take you a bit of work to present it but let me tell you, you could serve this meal to a President...

I'll get it together and post it, then come back here and update your thread with the link...

Well this took some recollecting as my notes are packed somewhere in the attic. I sure prepared this often enough and it's worthy to serve to your best guests

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2080900#p2080900

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by