1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail Room Design

Discussion in 'Quail' started by baggerdan2, Feb 7, 2013.

1. baggerdan2

baggerdan2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    Waycross Ga
    If you had a 12x12 room with one door and two windows (cross flow if needed) how would you design it for maximum production of Pharoah Quail?

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Just so everyone is straight here, you do mean a room in a barn or shed that is detached from your house, right?

3. baggerdan2

Jan 4, 2013
    Waycross Ga
    Actually I have a 10 room motel that I converted to a warehouse and want to use one of them to raise the quail

4. bingrancher

bingrancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    build a frame the size you want, maybe 2' by 12'. nail it to the wall and add support legs to the front then build wire cages to fit your frame. You can use a 5 gal bucket attached to a 12ft long 1/2 inch pvc pipe fitted with water nipples and your set for water and troughs for feed. Once you do your first row of cages you will know how to build more rows. Could even have cages in the middle of the room and an aisle for you to walk around and check on them

5. baggerdan2

Jan 4, 2013
    Waycross Ga
    Great one wall for the pens. I can do a rain water type waterer. ok what about an incubator and brooders in the same room. How much air flow would I need for how many quail?

6. bingrancher

bingrancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Im not sure about hatching and brooding in the same room as the adults as it seems most people including myself do that stuff separately. Youll want alot of air in the room though. Seems that you feed quail a certain amount and they poop twice as much out. I know that when incubating the eggs hatch better with plenty of fresh air in the bator, so you might consider how dusty the adults are going to be in your room. Plus room temp might be hard to adjust for adults and chicks and eggs. Hopefully someone who has done it hatch to dispatch in 1 room will be able to help.

7. baggerdan2

Jan 4, 2013
    Waycross Ga
    Thanks, may convert the bathroom into the incubator brooder room.

8. Kylesquails

Kylesquails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    Australia
    Post some picks of your progress,this sounds like a really cool project:)

9. baggerdan2

Jan 4, 2013
    Waycross Ga
    Will gladly post pics when we start construction. Right now I want all my ducks in a row. LOL Hate to redo anything so it would be great to get it right the 1st time. Hence the reason for my requests. Since there is a bathroom attached to the room I may strip it for the incubator and brooders. Since it is small it won't require as much electricity to maintain the temperature needed.

10. baggerdan2

Jan 4, 2013
    Waycross Ga
    WOW life sure throws curve balls. Wife bought a 10x10 shed I have to tear down and move. Will have to make her chicken house 1st and sneek my quail in there for the time being. Project on hold for awhile. Thanks for the input

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by