Quail "run" question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bblount89, Dec 9, 2009.

1. bblount89

bblount89 New Egg

Dec 9, 2009
    I have around 23 quail, some Bobwhite, some Coturnix, and wanted a better idea of the right style of enclosure for them. Now they are in a temporary small chicken coop with attached run to keep them out of the elements. The man who raised the Bobs had hundreds of them in a typical chicken house, so they are used to flying straight up.
    Does anyone have a plan or house that has worked for them? Most of the flock are several months old, with a few adults in the mix. Is it really better to have them up off the ground, or will a traditional style coop and tall run be sufficient for them?

2. thebirdfarm

thebirdfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    Here is a picture of the run I built. I haven't had any problems with it. If you notice though on the run I don't have a lot of supports. This way I could use chicken wire which fares better in the snow and yet when the birds run into it they bounce off it like a net without harm. Anyway I'm sure some will say keeping them off the ground is better for disease control, I however haven't had any problems with sick birds. (knock on wood)

[​IMG]

3. bblount89

bblount89 New Egg

Dec 9, 2009
    i didnt think of it that way but thats a good idea i appreciate it bud BBlount89

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    They Real Do Much Better Up Off The Ground On Wire When Kept In Captivity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by