Quail sand flooring

mun5

Chirping
Mar 24, 2017
Hi

I'm thinking of using sand on the run for my quails, but I've read that it wouldn't be so easy to manage. Would the poop need to be cleared on a daily basis? I don't quite understand why sand isn't as commonly used in quail runs/coops as in chicken runs/coops.

Canina

Songster
Oct 28, 2021
It can easily become waterlogged and I personally think once a day is minimum for smaller animals in small spaces. If you have a flock of chickens in a big shed sized coop that’s one thing but quail tend to be more crammed in, on wire etc for convenience. Sand can be great mixed in with other bedding but only if it’s dry. Mine have chinchilla sand in a bowl in their brooder and it is on the bottom of the tank which I don’t mind but I also have a heat mat and lamp on in there keeping it dry and warm.

Last edited:

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
I kept mine on sand 2 summers ago, I had to sift it maybe twice a week for 9 birds in 22 sq ft. It can’t be used in the winter because it steals their body heat when it’s cold outside. So I put chips down and have been doing deep bedding and I find it less work.

Top Bottom