Quail starter feed mix

quailmann

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 8, 2014
Hi! I hope everyone is in the best of health and spirits...

Ii want to know if i can mix chick starter (20% protein) and catfish feed (39% protein) in equal parts and made a 29.5% protein feed for my quails? Can this be fed for all quails without any health issues?

I have attached a picture of the composition of the fish food

I am raising quail for eggs. Not yet thought of breeding them though. I have japanese and golden quail.
Got some chicks which have some tibetan, tuxedo and A & M i think

Thanks in advance!

All the quail you mentioned are japanese quail just different colors. As far as using that as a feed I don't have much of an opinion on that. I'd use turkey starter before catfish feed if the problem was only not being able to get gamebird starter.

All the quail you mentioned are japanese quail just different colors. As far as using that as a feed I don't have much of an opinion on that. I'd use turkey starter before catfish feed if the problem was only not being able to get gamebird starter. 

Hi

Actually problem is the whole country (Sri Lanka) does not have anything except starter, layer, broiler feed :(

Well that is a problem lol. The only thing you can do is try and hope and works it out. I've seen coturnix grow and be productive on all sorts of wonky feeds so who knows?

Lol
Maybe it will stop the roosters from crowing :)
My only worry is that it will stunt their growth of kill them or something.

If I may ask a dumb question... If protein increases, we can expect a heavier bird right? What about other benefits? Any difference on egg laying etc?

I use chick starter 23% protein, medicine and hormone free for my Japanese quail .
I also give them access to oyster grit and the grain mix that I feed the laying chickens .
they are maiting and laying eggs happily.
In Australia most chick starters have medication, this medication is not supposed to be fed to birds like quail.
Hope everything goes well for you, quails are great pets.
My male quail (named hawk)

Egg my female laid the other day

Last edited:
I use chick starter 23% protein, medicine and hormone free for my Japanese quail .
I also give them access to oyster grit and the grain mix that I feed the laying chickens .
they are maiting and laying eggs happily.
In Australia most chick starters have medication, this medication is not supposed to be fed to birds like quail.
Hope everything goes well for you, quails are great pets.
My male quail (named hawk)

Egg my female laid the other day

Hi

What is their laying percentage? Out of 58 hens yesterday we had 47 eggs. Thats like 80% almost.
I havent started oyster shell yet but I will around tomorrow. I need to grind it up, the stuff i brought has about 5mm big pieces in it!
200 more chicks are 1 month old. I have around 100+ females in them. They are bigger than my current birds and i hope to breed them into jumbo size

What is the grain mix you feed your hens?

Hi

This is the link for the layer grain I use, it has the analysis . It is called red hen free range layer

http://www.lauckemills.com.au/poultry-layer3.html

The oyster shell I use is playground sand texture.

Both females lay 6 out of 7 days, I'm hopping some of the eggs will be fertile and we can start incubating the eggs, so far they just roll them away if I leave them in the coop :(

Keep us posted on how you go with breeding them into jumbo size .

Hi

He grain mix I use is red hen free range layer, the analysis is shown on the website (attached bellow)

http://www.lauckemills.com.au/poultry-layer3.html

The oyster grit I use is playground sand texture.

My females both lay 6 out of 7 days, I'm hoping some eggs are fertile soI can start incubating the eggs .

I tried leaving the eggs in the nest but the just roll them out :(

Keep us posted on how you go with breeding the jumbo size.

Back
Top Bottom