Quail Still Not Laying any Eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rodriguezpoultry, Sep 7, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    OK, so I have YET to get any eggs.

The quail are approximately 20 something weeks old. They are on medicated chick starter that is 22%. Someone said that blocking their view of the chickens next to them would help, but after two weeks...they tore a hole in the divider and were happily sleeping next to the "big birds".

Any ideas? Should I just scrap them all?

2. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    Do they have a good light source? They need above 14 hours of daylight to stimulate them to lay.

3. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    They've had one, but when it starts getting colder I'll put a heat lamp up there to keep them both warm and give them light.

These coturnix are just starting to drive me up the wall.

4. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    I wish I knew why or could help. I haven't had them long and all the clutches I've had started laying on 6-7weeks. Light and food are all I can think of?

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Ok Heres An Absurd Question--- Are We Absolutely Sure There's Hens In The Mix Here??? Altho I Have Had A Few Batches Take Way Long To Lay... 1st Thing Comes To Mind Is That You May Not Even Have Hens In There... Idk, Just Trying To Cover All The Bases100% Here. Oh, At 20 Weeks I Wouldnt Use Medicated Starter, Just Plain Starter-- Maybe Thats Your Hold Up??

6. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yes, I have 9 hens and 2 males.

I think I figured out what the problem is. They are not going to lay if there are predators nearby...and whatever is predating around my pens is getting ready to have a REALLY rude awakening.

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Uh Oh, I Think Somethin Bad's Fixin To Happen.....

Git It!

8. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Like other critters they need light and dark. A constant light will hinder rather then help the laying.

I do not know about others but I do not feed medicated feed.

I did find out that where I was getting my 30% gamebird starter also has gamebird layer. When they went onto that my egg production increased by 1/3.

I had 6 days of 24% chick starter. By the end of that time my eggs were way down and I was getting a lot of soft eggs.

Most feed companies put in a lot of research to tailor the feed to exactly what is needed. For me the gamebird starter and the layer is the same price as the chick feed offered elsewhere. Just a bit of a drive.
    A generic chick starter will not have what is needed for laying.

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    farrier! :

Quote:Like other critters they need light and dark. A constant light will hinder rather then help the laying.

I do not know about others but I do not feed medicated feed.

I did find out that where I was getting my 30% gamebird starter also has gamebird layer. When they went onto that my egg production increased by 1/3.

I had 6 days of 24% chick starter. By the end of that time my eggs were way down and I was getting a lot of soft eggs.

Most feed companies put in a lot of research to tailor the feed to exactly what is needed. For me the gamebird starter and the layer is the same price as the chick feed offered elsewhere. Just a bit of a drive.
    A generic chick starter will not have what is needed for laying.

I'LL THROW AN AMEN IN ONE THIS 1! HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN HERE. BUT I USE A LOT OF SUPPLIMENTS AS WELL--- THIS BLASTED HOT, HUMID CLIMATE TAKES ALOT OUTTA THE GIRLS--- SO I SUPPLIMENT WITH VIT C (HELPS KEEP EGG PRODUCTION UP IN TIMES OF HEAT STRESS) IN THE WATER EVERY OTHER DAY, AND ONCE A WEEK THEY GET COMPLETE VITAMIN AND MINERAL SUPPLIMENT --- THIS COMBO KEEPS 'EM UP AND LAYING. HECK EVEN MY DINOQUAIL (SHE'S 6 GOIN ON 7, HE'S 5) PRODUCE FOR ME ABOUT 2-3 EGGS A WEEK WHEN THE SUPPLIMENTS WERE THROWN IN...

AS FAR AS FEED MINE ARE ON PURINA GAMEBIRD AT ALL TIMES. TRIED THE CHICK STARTER AND MY EGG PRODUCTION WENT WAY DOWN. ALSO WHAT MANY FOLKS DONT KNOW, OR THINK OF IS THAT REGULAR CHICKEN STARTER CAN CONSTIPATE THEM AS BABIES AND CAUSE DEATH. OR DIARRHEA AND CAUSE PASTY BUTT ALSO RESULTING IN DEATH IF NOT DEALT WITH....

I DUNNO, WE'VE COVERED ALL THE BASICS TO DEATH.... HAVE YOU TRIED SQUEEZIN THEM??? LOL--- JUST KIDDING!​

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  10. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I'm having the same problem. I switched to the game bird starter 2 weeks ago still no eggs. My chickens are laying up a storm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by