Quail stressed out?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Country11525, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Country11525

Country11525 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2014
    I have One roo five hens coturnix quail in a 100 sq ft enclosure, wood bottom tin roof with a nest box and piles of hay for hiding and a sand box which they use all day long but all my quail having been panting and thoart fulletering for two days. It's been in the 70's here in Florida so I know it's not heat. They are about 2 1/2 months old when I got them that's was about a week ago. Anybody have any idea what's stress them or is this normal.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. Country11525

Sep 8, 2014
    Also forgot to say that there bedding is pine flakes and I use play sand in the dirt box. They have plenty of food and water which they eat and drink fine, I feed them 30% game bird feed. I know people say not to use 30 but it's all I could get. Some of the only do it for a few min. Then stop and some more the the others even seen the roo doing it a a little bit.

3. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    Just sounds like their hot, how do you know there stressed out?

Losing a lot of feathers???

Pecking eachother???

Panting is just what they do. I wouldn't be concerned. could also be the humidity making the air thick.

4. Country11525

Sep 8, 2014
    Here in Tampa Florida right now it's only 72 degrees or so. It's i just read on the forum that panting and thoarth fulletering is a sign something is wrong. Just checked on them they are all in piles of hay nesting the male is in his sand box making a mess, but when I walk up to them the start the panting thing maybe it's me that stress them a little. The guy I got them from raises amazing birds but he does not handle them or interacts much with them so I can see how they might get a little stressed when I come up to check on them. Which I do about 5 to 6 times a day along with checking my chickens which are in separate pens and I do wash my hands every time I do something for the chickens before going into the quail coop. Plus the quail have there own set of tool that I use for pen cleaning and such so nothing from the chickens gets mixed in with the quail.

I might be worrying to much but this birds are the cream of the flock that he sold me which he did not want too but finally gave in and sold me a hand full. This are his next gen breeders. But he hooked me up. So I just don't want to lose any of this. I post so pics when they come out of the nest. Just beautiful birds.

5. Country11525

Sep 8, 2014
    Oh yeah no feather lost or pecking other than when the roo is in the sand box and a hen try's to get in he makes a warning call and if the hen still goes in he gives a small peck to chase the hens out of his sand box

6. Invision

Jul 24, 2014
    Well the interaction could cause the stressing, maybe try placing a camera on them and take an hour video and see what they are doing. If it is you causing it you can do what I do and get some meal worms and start trying to hand feed (don't forget to add grit though) them so that they associate you with food. That would stop them from stressing about you.

When I started hand feeding I made a wird noise with my mouth every time I brought the worms to them, after that I just had to make the noise and they would come flying at me to check and make sure i had worms with me. Also they were chaterboxes. when I would make the noise they would call back to me even from across the yard. I should video it and post it on here.

7. Invision

Jul 24, 2014
    Put another sand box in then, he's cause the stress of the Hens. I just cut a five gallon bucket in half and cut a hole in the side. works great and doesn't cause that big of a mess.

8. Country11525

Sep 8, 2014
    I will put another sand box in there for sure. Some of the quail don't seem bothered by me but others go running into there hide holes in the hay when I get to close to the pen. I will pick up some meal worms tommorw as we'll. also I sprout barley grain and feed that to them and my chickens (fodder) and the do come running for it as soon as my hand is out of the pen.

9. Invision

Jul 24, 2014
  10. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    I sounds like the panting behavior is from heat, were they housed in a cooler situation than you have them now? Sometimes just having them on the west side of the house as apposed to the north side can make a big difference in temperature.

Did the guy you got them from have them in above ground cages? If so then being on the ground and having a giant human come near them can cause them stress since before the human was nearer to their height. More hiding places can help but one they know you bring food and treats they should come around, especially since you check on them often. Make sure you are talking to them before you get close so they know you are about to arrive and don't startle them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by