Quail stuff...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Fat Daddy, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Got my back ordered brinsea eco 20 today!! [​IMG] Looks like this is gonna be a much easier horse to ride than the DIY coolerbator... I filled 1 water chamber and opened the vent. Could only hold 30% humidity. I have not tried filling the second well yet, just experimenting with how to drive it a bit. Added a sponge and it came up to 55% with the vent wide open. Do most folks run the vent squeezed down till lock down to get the % up?

When I candled my 50 Georgia Giant bob eggs, I ended up with 13 cook'in. Which is worse than I had hoped, I bought 60, received 70, unbroken eggs. I could only fit 50 in the coolerbator. So I cracked the others into a bowl to check for the fertile "target". Out of that 20 there were 6 that appeared fertile. They have been cookin 14 days tomorrow. I guess the percentage is running about what one would expect. I realize the time of year most likely has alot to do with the fertility rate. Still lower than I had hoped thou. [​IMG]

I have been doing some research with the state of kansas concerning "game birds" and the law. In Kansas you can raise and breed "game birds" for fun and your own meat with no permit. You have to keep receipts on where you got the birds or eggs. But if you sell birds or eggs you need to go thru the process and get the permit.... My application packet came in the mail today too. [​IMG] When I told my friends I was gonna grow up and be a "licensed game breeder", they jumped to the conclusion that I was gonna marry a goat.... silly rednecks!!! [​IMG] , Bill

2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Where did you get your eggs from?

I order 50 eggs from Wadley Quail Farm ,they shipped on friday I got them here on Monday my wife broke 1 by accident we checked and it was fertile

Put them in the incubator on the 11th , just candle them on the 19 .
    5 were not fertile 44 showing lots of red veins forming

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Bill Unfortunately Bob Fertility Does Usually Suck Ths Time Of Year. Personally My Octs Are Run Vents Full Open And Both Water Compartments Filled... But Thats Just Me.

4. kathydoolittle

kathydoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Pittsburg KS
    That sounds like kansas to me. Silly hillbillys. Bill I would like to know more about how you got your permit. If you dont mind.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    There Arent Any Hills In Kansas???

6. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:I dont have the permit yet, just the app. I called the Kansas fish and game in topeka. There is a very helpful lady that answered all my questions and sent me the app and info. in just a few days. It dont really amount to much thou. You have to build your pens and have them inspected. Its all laid out in the booklet she will send you. I forget her name but she was the one that answered the phone.

It cost 12.50 a year and has to be renewed by june 30th every year. You have to keep receipts for all you buy. You must give bills of sale for all you sell with your permit # on it. All this must be reported every year with your renewal. Like I say, Its all fairly clear in the booklet you get.

They dont give detailed pen or cage designs, just general guide lines that "SHALL" or "CAN" be used. You list what species you what to keep and how many, feathers or fur same permit. If you add species that you didnt list during the year, you just report where it came from and how many you have and have sold as everything else. Have to report where you get everything, this seems to be a big deal. Give them a call lots of info, easy to come by. Bill

7. DNAatWork

DNAatWork Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    Coalville, UT
    I HATE UTAH I KEEP GETTING RIPPED OFF [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] NPIP costed $300 for testing 30 birds... A permit to raise wild game birds costs $200 - $300 USD. [​IMG]

8. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Wow, that does sound a bit high... Utah is a beautiful state to live in thou, nature at its best...
    On the other hand, here in Kansas, if it were not for the super models, consistently beautiful weather, and prairie dogs, it would really BLOW!!! Bill

9. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    A bit, you could buy the testing equipment and take it to a lab for that much.

10. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    Quote:My Octo is my new best friend [​IMG] Lol I got to get a second one to replace my DIY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by