1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail to lay again in the winter

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Halcomb6, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Halcomb6

Halcomb6 New Egg

Feb 8, 2016
    I purchased 50 quail from a man about a week ago. He kept them outdoors with no artificial light. How long would it take them to start laying eggs again? I have them inside my garage in a very large homemade rabbit hutch that I fellow quail owner helped me build. I have light on in their cages at least 16 hours a day and they stay fairly warm. I give them electrolytes in their water and 21% protein feed. I have males and females seperated. It has been 7 days, should I expect them to begin laying again this week?

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    some will lay within a few days, some take a couple weeks, there's no set rule on how long yours may take but if they are at least laying age and less then 2 yrs old i'd expect them to start laying within two weeks of putting them on a light cycle greater then 14 hrs

3. Twoandhelp

Twoandhelp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Is that when their production goes down- 2 years? Do you just use them for stew at that point? (If you're a meat eater)

4. JetCat

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    birds over a year old should be replaced if you're intending on hatching eggs as fertility drops off as they age and at a year your hatch rates will be notably lower. egg production drops considerably around 2 yrs of age.

most breeders cycle their stock out after a year and egg producers after 2 yrs. processing to eat is where most end up going but some people do sell them when they near the end of their production cycle tho and you end up with people buying birds that aren't fertile or won't lay at all.

1 person likes this.
  5. Twoandhelp

Apr 7, 2015
    Great to know- thanks! Are they tougher since they're older? Or are they easy to keep moist?

6. JetCat

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    they are a little but not anything like an old chicken!! I brine and smoke mine, they are always moist and tender regardless of age.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  7. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    My Coop
    Do you have a recipe? I am gathering recipes and information on the best way to cook/store/prepare quail. :)

8. Twoandhelp

Apr 7, 2015
    I take the legs off and cook them separately. My favorite ways to cook them both involve bacon. Oil up your cast iron and dear the quail breasts on all sides. Then I set them aside, fry the bacon for a few minutes then put the quail back in the skillet, drape with bacon. 375 for ten minutes was perfect.

My husband stuffs jalapeño or sweet peppers with cream cheese, puts that in the quail breast, wraps with bacon, and then bakes for 375 for 20 minute. He fried the legs separately too.

And then you could too with a quail egg! Because why not??

Here's a pic I took while frying the other night. They look like little hearts. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. JetCat

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    i make my own brine from various spices and salt, let them stay in it for at least 24 hrs and up to 36 hrs, remove and rinse in cold water then wrap bacon around them, pop em on the smoker at 250° till they hit 165° in the middle of the breast then take them off wrap in foil and let them rest about 20 min. they'll make a puppy pull a freight train!!

1 person likes this.
  10. Twoandhelp

Apr 7, 2015
    DANG I need a smoker!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by