Quail transport

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Jeremy Rainey, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Jeremy Rainey

Jeremy Rainey New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    Winslow (Southern IN)
    I need a good idea to transport 15 bobwhites 2weeks old for a 600 mile trip.

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Jeremy,
    Welcome the the Quail forum on BYC. Just me, but I wouldn't be transporting any chicks at that age until they have their own feathers to keep themselves warm. At 2 weeks, they cannot survive for long if their body temps drop. You may end up with 5 at the end of the trip.
    James

3. Jeremy Rainey

Jeremy Rainey New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    Winslow (Southern IN)
    Thanks James. I was kinda wanting some ideas of a 12 volt light or an alternative heat source.

4. texan4ut

texan4ut Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    You could buy an inexpensive power inverter, plug it into 12v plug in your vehicle and use a clip on light to keep them warm. Just a thought.

5. Jeremy Rainey

Jeremy Rainey New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    Winslow (Southern IN)
    Where can I buy one at?

6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hot hands packets wrapped in towels so they don't burn the chicks. You will most likely lose birds on the trip though no matter what you do.

Running a heat lamp off the cigarette lighter would be really hard on the electrical system in your car. I've done it in my work truck before but it's set up for off grid construction with two aux batteries and a 3000w inverter. It also has a special alternator and a battery isolator to protect the truck batteries and computers from surges.

1 person likes this.
  7. texan4ut

texan4ut Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    Most auto parts stores, Harbor Freight, I have one rated for 500 watts is all and use it camping to run lights while cooking. Mine has a low battery alarm so if your vehicle battery gets low it warns you. You would be driving so you shouldn't have a problem unless you are using a high wattage bulb/inverter.

8. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    X2 on the heat packs. I've used them for a variety of critters. I get them at REI, but I think Walmart has them too. Cheap, and do the trick, makes the brooder very portable with no need for electricity. Get enough heaters to last the hours you think your trip will last plus some extras just in case. Most of the heaters/warmers last 10 hours but you can buy 40-72 hour warmers online if you don't want to bother changing them too often. Use a ventilated brooder and tape a heater to the side and one near it to the bottom so they don't slide around. It helps to have a box on it's side within the brooder to concentrate the warmth but make sure there is enough space for the chicks to move on or off the heaters. Depending on which heaters you buy they last so many hours and the heat lessens over time so you may need to replace them before the time is up if the chicks are looking cold/huddled. Toss the used, dirty heaters in the trash and put in new ones. Make sure to play around with them before your trip and see how they work and what you might need to cover or not cover them with depending on ambient temps, age of chicks, size of brooder, etc.

9. Jeremy Rainey

Jeremy Rainey New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    Winslow (Southern IN)
    Well they all made it safely. But I lost 4 the next day due to low temp in my brooder. I got it up and running. I guess that's what I get for buying chicks impromptu. Thanks everyone for the helpful info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by