QUAIL TUMOR ON BREAK???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Coturnix Quail, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Ok, so recently my quail started to lay eggs (YAY!!) and I have a separate cage for my partially tame ones, and they lay eggs too. I have 1 male and 4 females in it. Today, when I was feeding them, I found a large female in the tameish cage, so I just wanted to pet her and I did. She sort of bent down with her head up. I laughed a little and was like what? So first of all , what does that mean? Second, when I took a close look at her, she had this pinkish lump on her beak that no other females had. So what the heck is that? I fear that it's a tumor??:( I don't know what it is, so if you could please help me, I would really appreciate it, she's a little sweetheart, and I wouldn't want her to suffer!:hit

2. Everlong

Everlong Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    If you don't want her to suffer, eat her ;)

J/K, one of my females has it, since ever. Other one, was being harassed and at one point was bleeding from the top of the beak, later same thing showed up on her beak. No idea what it is.

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Sometimes when my girls are going to lay, they'll do some restless pacing around, some of them will scrape their beaks on the hardware cloth and create little bumps of I guess beak scabs. Only had it happen a few times but fairly certain it's just from that :)

4. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Ok thanks, I was worried. All my little quail are doing quite fine! I'm incubating 7 eggs! QUAIL eggs are easy to hatch I hear. This time I'm going to pay attention to the chicks more instead of just feeding them and stuff. Wish me luck! :)

5. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Could you post a pic of it?
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Sure here you go:

7. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    That's weird.I don't think you should have any concerns.Maybe it will grow out as beak grows.If you clip the end of the beak off(just the tip)maybe it will grow out.
    In N.H.,Tony.

8. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Hope you are right. Thanks.

9. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    My broody quail is the worst pacer - she wants to go outside of the aviary into the overgrown brush to lay her eggs :p

She also wound up chipping her beak tip but there was no bleeding and it's grown back just fine :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 007Sean

007Sean Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    That's strange, to say the least! Could be a bird wart? Don't know never had any thing like that on my birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by