1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quail type? male or femals?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Loretta212, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    Looks like two coturnix hens to me! You should be getting eggs in the next few weeks. Mine started laying at 5-6 weeks.

3. Loretta212

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    they are about 4-5 weeks right now and i just love them they are my sons favorite over all the other animals we have [​IMG] thank you!

4. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    those are hens!

5. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I've found that the hens kept as pets are the greatest. They are less shy (or stand-offish) than the roos. They love their treats. I treat my hens especially well since they work hard producing eggs and put up with the roos.

I have a couple that are good hunters and will scarf down any mealworms or waxworms I have, so I have to literally, hold them back with my hand to give the others a chance.

Since it's apple season, I'll quarter and seed apples and they will come running over. The roos could really care less but they will eat the apples if the hens think they are especially good.

6. Loretta212

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    my son loves them they have been very friendly to us i got them when they were very small they seem to like bananas as well!

7. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    dos hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by